What would you do?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Oct 8, 2010.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    So I have this goat -- Angie -- kind of like my 'favorite' but they are all favorites really.

So Angie is currently 2 1/2 years old

Ever since I purchased her she has had these episodes of being sick for like a week. Goes of feed, doesnt drink. Stands with ears and tail down in the sun, wont make a sound and runs from me.

I have tried all sorts of things for her and it usually comes down to her needing antibiotics and then she is better.

We are currently on the upwards swing one of these episodes. Its her 5th in less then 12 months!

But my worry is about breeding her. Would you? None of her kids seem to have this issue and her granddaughter I own is so far healthy (at 4 months old). But I worry about her having an episode when pregnant and endangering the kids. She had one last year but the kids were fine thankfully. I just dont know what is best for her. I am keeping her regardless.

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    That's really hard. I guess if I REALLY loved her enough, I'd keep her without breeding.

Or breed her again and see how it's handled by her.

Personally, she'd be finding a new home, but I know that's not an option here.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey...is there a specific time of year that these episodes start to occur?

I know how well loved she is, and I know that you would like to see more kids and her udder with each new freshening...if her illnesses have an "off" time, maybe try and breed her for that time :?

I myself would likely give her a year off and see how she does during that time...and be driving everyone here :hair: with all my questions and worries :wink:

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well all goats need to be producing animals here --- but in her case I can make an exception. It just the way it has to be. She is a favorite amongst the family and Ashley would super upset if I ever considered selling her since she is the only daughter of Xcell. So its not happening. But if it was any other doe yah its more hassel then worth. Btu sometimes pets need to come first. They remind you why you have them in the first

Well Liz I wish I could say it was a specific time. But its December, May, June, August and now October (I think I broke the months down right) just in this past 2009-2010 year.

So its anytime of year.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would breed her again...if she takes it well...great, if not, then that can be her last litter. You may want to breed her so she will be in warmer weather during her last couple months of pregnancy. It just seems like it would be easier on her body.

That's very strange how she gets sick like that. Let us know if you ever find out what's up with her.

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I have one favored doe who I didn't breed last year because I thought she needed a break (wrong). She was about the age your doe is now. She hasn't been sick ever, so it isn't the same. But a consideration I wanted to throw in for you, this dry doe got so fat I am very worried now that she may have trouble being pregnant. She was dry. If your doe is still milking I would be sure to keep her milking through. For mine, this is the doe that started making milk out of the blue. She gained 38 pounds between December and June. then she started making milk. I hope I am going to be able to dry her up. I bred her last week. She is making about a pound of milk a day now.

I hope being bred doesn't kill her because I didn't breed her last year. I think her line tends to get fat in general, so this might not be a problem for other goats.

Jan

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no she isnt in milk -- she dried up when she got sick last time (end of July).

The changes in weather really effect her especially heat

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Use your best judgment .... if she isn't in the best of health....I wouldn't breed her .....as a pregnancy can be very hard on her..... :hug:

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats the weird part she is healthy as all get out and then BOOM wont eat or drink. I cant predict it. UGH

Need to think on this more. I just dont know what to do. Its more for my own sanity that I am trying to decide what is best.

As harsh as it is this last time when she got sick I said "if you die you die" the vet has no idea whats wrong with her and I am at a loss as is everyone else I talk to about this.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Can you give her something... to build up her immunity?....sounds as if... it is low immunity ..... :hug:

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey, I certainly understand you loving her as a pet... whether she can be bred or not....as you know I have 4 of them :greengrin: !
    I have no advice, but just wanted to say I'm sorry you keep having to deal with this. My thought is... Maybe God puts these "off" animals into the hands of very loving, caring, commited caregivers... because not everyone would deal with them because of the frustration and expense...... We have a dog with issues and had we not have taken her as a puppy, she would have probably been bounced from home to home or ended up as a shelter dog or worse.

12. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Hope you can figure out what's wrong. :hug: That must be frustrating.

13. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Wow, that would be frustrating. I am not sure I would breed her if she isn't a hundred percent healthy. I hope you find out what is wrong with her.I totally understand keeping her for just a pet.

14. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    This is a tough one... but I think we could offer all sorts of advice and like others said it come down to how you feel about the situation. Sometimes we can not explain our "gut instinct" but it is there for a reason.

Personally I wouldn't breed her knowing that she has now moved into "pet" status which means a forever loving home to live out there lives doing what they do...

Hugs while you try to figure out what is the best decision for you...

15. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I would not breed her as it might put too much stress on her and the outcome of the kids. God gave her to you to love and care for the way she is :)

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am going to put her on longterm antibiotics and then see how she does in the coming months as the weather changes again (its warm again) and then make a decision on her breeding potential. As the only daughter of Xcell I do want to have her utilized to her full potential.