What would you do?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Maggie, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    I had posted about a sick doeling we have viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17858.
    Last night it appeared she ate and drank barely anything, she was laying in the draw. We got her up, she jumped around on the stall walls as she knew what were were up to, we medicated her (antibiotic injection, injection of vit B and iron, energy malt, and vitamin "A" solution by mouth). Then she just layed back down in the straw. We called the vet again, he said to tube feed her and stop the energy malt. When I left this morning to go pick up tubing and the calf nutrient/electolyte powder, she looked aweful, didn't even raise her head to look at me when I came in. I thought for sure she'd be dead before I got back. When I got back, she was up and eating some alfalfa hay and seemed perky. I put out some warm water with electrolytes in it, she drank some of that (probably less than a cup), then was licking at the loose minerals. Half hour later shes laying in the straw looking like shes dying again.

Would you go ahead and tube her? Or just leave her as long as she keeps getting up to eat and drink a little and keep monitering her?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you feel that she's eating and drinking enough to sustain her, then wait to tube feed. Can you feel her rumen moving at all? Making noise? If her rumen isn't functioning, she'll need nutrition and hydration..probiotics too.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yes, do as Liz says.....listen to her tummy......Murphy had little to no sound coming from his Wednesday morning and he passed Thursday morning, but he wasn't eating or drinking at all.....except a couple of times he acted like he wanted to.......I pray she makes it for you, I am so sorry you are going through this......my heart goes out to you.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Just wanted to update on Sage. I did not tube her yesterday, her rumen was definately moving when I listened to her, so I let her be. I had put down hay on the ground for her, and she was laying in it and eating last night. This morning she was up and acting pretty normal. :leap: She was even trying to get at the other girl's grain through the slats in the stall, she nibbled at a few pellets in my hand. She put up a good fight and was bellowing at us when I gave her her shots, which was actually encouraging to us. She still hasn't drank a lot, but she is at least drinking a little and we are still giving her some fluids by mouth in a syringe as well. Keeping my fingers crossed today that she keeps up her perky attitude.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So good to hear! I was told after the fact with my little guy that you would have to give them 3000 syringes of fluid to keep them hydrated......maye try putting some molasses or koolaid, gatorade in some warm water for her.....I took our some warm molasses water to my guys because of it being sooooo cold here and I wanted to make sure my other 3 boys are drinking plenty.....they lapped it up! I put just a couple of tablespoons into a 3gallon bucket and the smell got their attention.
    I pray she continues to do well!

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I so love to hear news like that. Congratulations. Way to go :clap: :leap: :cool:

8. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Thanks cdtrum, I had tried gatorade in the water but none of the goats would even drink that, I didn't even think to try molasses though!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww...that is wonderful news..... :leap: :thumb: :greengrin: :hug: