The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So back in June i payed over $1000 for a black and white tiger dapple doe. She was born last November. After a few months I noticed she was pregnant so I emailed to inform the breeder and she said "thats too bad sorry". So today she kidded which means she would have been bred mid April when she was about 5 months old. I called the breeder to ask her if there was any way to find out what buck bred her so i could get papers. The answer was that there was no way there was about 25 young bucks in with her and possibly related. Im sooo disappointed i spent a very large amount of money on a nice doe. Im thankful for a healthy mom and baby but I cant help but feel disappointed that now i have a possibly inbred baby with no papers and a possibly stunted doe. I know there is nothing more I can do now but do you think the breeder could have done something to make it better or thats just my luck?

·
Registered
283 Posts
She should of told you that the doe was exposed to that many bucks and at she could of possibly been bred at that age. I would personally ask her to do so etching about maybe get refunded or get a different doe for half price. I'm sorry I'm sure she is a good looking doe and now she could be stunted or have health issues later on.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
If she were a good breeder who cared about her reputation, she would have done something. You can always ask her. But paying that kind of money, I would expect to get papers for the baby or some type of compensation for a doe that was bred too young and a mess up on her end. Now you will have to hold off on any of your plans and make sure this doe will grow properly.

If she does nothing, I would probably get the word out about it but strictly state facts and keep any emotion out.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If it turns out there is nothing you can do otherwise, just feed your girl well and allow her to keep growing. I might consider weaning early so The mama does not have to go through getting drawn down by baby. There is likely nothing wrong with the baby other than being unregisterable. Maybe you could sell it to a pet home as a bottle kid?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree as a breeder myself i would have been more then apologetic and tried to make it right with the buyer. Asked what i could have done to make them happy. I spent $6000 total on five goats from them they should have been bending over backwards to keep me as a customer i would think. I do feel like letting others know what they did out of anger but I dont want to be ugly and bash there name. Im blessed to have what ive got and im going to find the positive instead. :)

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
There is nothing wrong with stating what happened. But definitely don't bash their name or anything.

You will have to post a pic of the new baby and mom. ;)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Wow. Totally not cool. I wouldn't condemn you at all if you did plaster their name all over the internet if they can't even try to do something for you if you bought that many goats from them. You'd be doing others a favor. If the baby is a doe, then her babies can be registered 50% if bred to a FB or PB buck. It seems some color people are more worried about the color than the percent anyway. If the baby is a buck I would consider trying to make a bottle baby out of him so the young doe can get back to growing sooner. If you let her raise her, wean as soon as reasonable. You might be able to breed again late. I have a friend that had a doe kid at 10 months on an accident. I just showed against that doe the other day and I bet she goes over 250lbs now as an older doe. They can catch up and attain normal size.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
He is cute. I agree you might want to consider making him a bottle baby and selling him quickly. You can still make sure he goes to a good home.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya i agree of getting him off the doe im gonna play it by ear n supplement him with the bottle so hes used to it if i pull him off her

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Well there isnt alot she could do about finding out who the daddy is. So the kid is a write off. Not likely she will refund you any money. And now knowing her practies about the only recourse you have is to put the word out. Id email her again and let her know her incompetence as a breeder is unacceptable and you will be making a great effort to spread the word so that she cant do this to others. But thats just me. Im more of a "why do it in the shadows when you can stand right in front of em and see the expression on their face as you pick them apart kinda person" :)

·
2,203 Posts
I would try once more on confronting the breeder. Take a pic and send it to them. If you don't get good response the second time, I wouldn't feel bad if you got the word out there about what happened. Don't get all hysterical and slander and exaggerate. Just simply one of those "this happened to me" type of deals.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Thats really bad business! I think its your responsibility to let people know what sort of business this greedy breeder does. Their irresponsibility and extreme greed could have killed your 1K doe! People deserve to know about bad breeders.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
These boer breeders in Kansas have a great website with lots of fullblood colored goats. Seemed really nice to talk to on the phone and took great pictures. Handled all the financial part and health certs well. I know she has lots of customers and she told me she has not had one person unhappy or have any problems of any sort. So it is very possible I am the only one and this is all just my luck.

Heres my experience and unfortunately I will not be a returning customer wether it be my luck or not I feel things could have been handled differently on their part.

On May 1st I purchased 4 young does and 1 mature buck all different prices to equal about $6000. I mailed half the money right away. Before purchasing I asked most of the normal prepurchase questions including about CL. Later after I had already sent half the money i felt uncomfortable about the answer I got about CL. So I asked "your goats have never had CL?" This response was more clear. She said every big goat breeder has CL we just manage it. She also said "new" goat breeders are scared to death of it you just have to learn to manage it. Which I still have the same opinion, I test and keep a clean negative herd. I choose not to manage it. I decided to go ahead with the purchase and take the risk. She arranged for the transport to California for mid May. This kept being delayed for various reasons with the transporter until I scheduled for another transporter who arrived mid June. The next couple of days after they arrived all the goats had horrible bloody coccidia. I know this is common in transporting animals but mine were the only ones on the transport and the trailer was newly cleaned and spotless tho still a possibility. When I contacted the breeder about this issue she said shes never had anyone complain about that before and it was probably my feed. To my defense I was still feeding what she had sent and I took a stool sample to my vet who confirmed cocci. She really didnt have much to say but that it hadnt come from there. I really wasnt blaming her too much i more or less wanted her opinion on how she treats it. I had never had it in my herd before. But she didnt help. I didnt mention to her I also felt that compared to all the traditional goats ive bought and raised I felt they did not compare in size. The new colored goats were much smaller in both height and weight compared to my goats the same ages. But again I am new to colored boers so I didnt mention it because I wasnt sure if maybe thats how there genetics are. Next problem was this issue with my young pregnant doe. Im upset at this issue and how I feel like I (actually my grandfather) spent sooo much money and we are not completely satisfied with our purchase.

Again I really dont want to sound ugly or throw anyone under the bus. And for all I know she may be right, everyone else may be ecstatic with there purchases. but I am disappointed.

Now in the end I am thankful for a healthy mom and baby. And my other goats are now growing well and blossoming better. Our buck is good and happy to be breeding with lots of pretty girls at the moment. I truly am blessed, just challenged. Lol

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Well Id still go on record with her as to your complaints. On my websites I have open forums and offer anyone to comment both good and bad. Granted I dont get hardly any action on my site forum. Though if I ever had someone who was unhappy Id do everything I could to make it right. Word of mouth is the best advertising. You are not throwing anyone under a bus. Things didnt pan out the way you wanted, the breeder didnt do anything to make you feel better. Hell, even just hearing a breeder say sorry is often enough. Instead you got "Well it must be your feed and everyone else is happy". That is not a professional response.

Oh and on a side note. NO, every big goat breeder does not have CL. We run 100 head and dont have any diseases. I can point you to a lady who runs 200 boars and 200 dairy goats and not one of them has CL or CAE.

·
14,760 Posts
I am so sorry this all happened to you. But... just because she said she's never had issues, does not mean she is telling you the truth.
Those goats got cocci somewhere and it must have been from her farm, and the move caused them to multiply.

I have to say I am like the others, I would call her out on it, because reputable or not, that does not give that person the right to disreguard the fact she sold you a young doe that was pregnant.
Did she say the doe was pregnant? could be pregnant? has been running with bucks?
If not, then I would say it's false advertisement and was NOT what you paid for.

If she is doing it to you, imagine someone else she might have done it too, or will eventually do it to.

BTW, that little guy is adorable, but I'd sure love to see a pic of his mama too, she sounds gorgeous ;) Maybe you can rehome him as a pet? or if she is taking good care of him and loves him, then let her raise him, and then wean and sell ASAP.

·
1,524 Posts
The little guy would probably make a good commercial buck for breeders who dont care about registrations.

I used to run a herd of close to 100 dairy goats of various ages and did not have CL or CAE. I have never, in 35 years of goat ownership, had CL.

I had something similar when I bought a herd of Boers from Tennesee. I had let it be known I wanted show quality, as well as true to Boer standard breeding stock to start my new herd. I was assured that they were.

After several false starts, my herd arrived at 2300 one evening, so i was unable to really look them over. By the next morning, when I found the mature doe had about 7 teats! Like I could show her? Or that I want that in my herd????? The buck ended up with pneumonia so bad that his lungs were compromised for the rest of his life. Thats what finally killed him.

Of course the breeder took no responsibility. At least they didn't have CL.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts