The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Myotonic and Nigerian dwarf goats
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am reevaluating getting a doe I put a deposit down on. But I want experienced breeders opinions. So context, I put a deposit on a doe, after her kids were wean and sold, she went through what is believed to be a bout of depression, and also had barber pole worms, she let other does beat her up and didn’t act herself, the seller had her vet come out and take blood today, waiting for test results. My question is if you were in the situation what would you do? Would you back out? ,my worries are that this will be continuous, I understand that does go through depression after kids are sold, but normal from what I’ve found, correct me if wrong, it doesn’t last too long. Her first kidding, she was fine, didn’t get overly depressed after kids were sold. Is it likely she would go through this with her next kidding ?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
IMO and take it or leave it. Attributing human emotions to animals makes you miss a lot of illnesses brought on by stress.
Humans have a feed back loop from their forebrain. Animals don't, they do have some problematic things that can happen in times of stress.
I agree here. That is why I say it is better to wait for the bloods results before deciding.

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
I would winder how she kidded - did she need support during pregnancy? Assistance during kidding? Was she wormed post kidding? What was she being fed after partition and was she allowed to be by herself with kids or in a big group? All these questions would be important for me to know ….

1 - 7 of 7 Posts