The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe, Prim officially rejected her buckling, Yuma. I've know this for a few days now and I'm trying to figure out if I did the right thing, or if in the future if something like this happens whether I should do something differently.

Currently, Prim and her doeling and Yuma are all in their own stall with a piece of fencing separating Yuma from the other two so that he can't get hurt by Prim. Four times a day I hold Prim for Yuma to drink. As some of you know, I was going to try to supplement him with a bottle, but I'm so busy right now that I felt like it would actually be less work to just hold Prim for him. I feel terrible that he can't be with his family, but if he goes after Prim to get a drink, I know she could hurt him. The trouble is it's such a pain to have to keep Yuma separate from Prim and his sister and now he's too bonded to them for me to put him in with the rest of the herd.

I wonder if it would have been better in hindsight to pull him and bottle feed and then maybe he would have stopped trying to drink from Prim and he would be better off because he wouldn't be bonded to somebody that doesn't love him :(. It so sad how he still loves Prim and yells when he can't see her when she couldn't care less.

I guess I'm just trying to learn from this situation. Would there have been a better way so that I wouldn't have had to separate him?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Not at all! Eventually you are going to be able to turn all of them out in the herd when he gets bigger. He is going to actually catch onto things like eating big food feed so much faster. Plus he will have his sister to play with. I always feel so bad for my single bottle babies. They don’t have anyone.
How old is he and sister? What you could try, it could be too late is pull both kids and let them eat at the same time. Prim will let sister eat and maybe, just maybe she will realize that she must feed him too if she wants to feed sister. I have had luck with this twice. I’m not going to pull your leg I’ve had it fail more then work but it just might work! But if prim does start to not want to deal with the hassle and start walking away from sister so brother can’t eat, abort and go back to how you have been doing it

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I’m sorry Prim rejected Yuma. It’s so hard to watch and frustrating too. I agree, pull both.
Luna rejected Molly and luckily I had Gideon also on a bottle so they paired up. Now, a year later, Luna lets Molly be with her sister Hedwig but still doesn’t Act motherly Towards her, it’s more she tolerates her.
I now wish I had also pulled Hedwig but hindsight is 20/20.
Question though, are you selling or keeping Yuma? If you’re selling him, get him on a bottle now and sell him, that way Prim keeps her doeling and you don’t have the heartache of watching it.
Hang in there, next freshening she’ll be better hopefully.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My plans for him were to wether him and either sell him if there's a market for pet wethers or eventually send him to freezer camp. I don't think I want to sell him as a bottle baby. That just doesn't seem right to me for some reason.

He is bonded to his sister, Adaline and she reciprocates his affections. She actually sneaks into the place I have him separated and I'll find her sleeping in there with him, so at least he has her. I think Bella's kids will probably warm up to him. They are about a week older. I'm putting Yuma in with them overnight when Bella's kids are separate so Bella can be milked. They just kinda avoid him right now, but I've seen Bella's buckling, Benjamin playing with him during the day. I am working on integrating the herd and that's been going well.

I'll try separating both kids and see how that goes.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Aw, it's hard when one gets rejected. I had a doeling get rejected last year and I had to hold her mom several times a day to make sure she got fed. She and her brother were very well bonded so I never separated the family. Luckily mama only rejected the doeling and didn't become aggressive with her. She would kick or butt baby away from the udder, but she never tried to savage her so I saw no reason to separate them. As long as mama is not being dangerous toward the kid, I think it's less stressful on the siblings if you leave the family together. Once a kid is 1-2 weeks old and able to get away, it's pretty unusual for an older goat to be able to hurt them unless they are penned in too-small of an area or the older goat is super aggressive.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aw, it's hard when one gets rejected. I had a doeling get rejected last year and I had to hold her mom several times a day to make sure she got fed. She and her brother were very well bonded so I never separated the family. Luckily mama only rejected the doeling and didn't become aggressive with her. She would kick or butt baby away from the udder, but she never tried to savage her so I saw no reason to separate them. As long as mama is not being dangerous toward the kid, I think it's less stressful on the siblings if you leave the family together. Once a kid is 1-2 weeks old and able to get away, it's pretty unusual for an older goat to be able to hurt them unless they are penned in too-small of an area or the older goat is super aggressive.
Thank you so much for your advice, @Damfino. I've seen some pretty bad behavior from Prim toward Yuma so he's been safe behind a fence when they are shut in the barn. When I hold Prim for him to drink, should I let him have all he wants even as he gets older?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Can you cut a hole in the fence so Yuma and his sister can go between pens and get away from their mom together?

I let my kids eat till they're full or drain one side of the udder--whichever comes first. Once they're a couple of weeks old, they nearly always drain the udder before they're full. Usually the sibling will take the opportunity to get a meal at the same time, so then both sides of the udder are empty and you don't have to worry about it getting lopsided.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just thought I would update this thread since we've had some positive developments. I think now that I've seen how this has played out, in the future if something like this happens again, I probably wont do anything differently. While Prim still does not let Yuma drink, she has taken on the role of mother to him better than I thought she would. He still sees her as mom and she lets him hang out with her and if he feels lost and calls for her, she will come running. As long as he doesn't try to nurse, she's okay with him which he only does when he knows it's time for him to get a meal and I'm there to help him get it. I don't even have to separate them when they are shut in the barn anymore. 😊

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.