The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I off and on have a goat that gets a little on the rough coat look and maybe sunken sides on rear above the belly. They eat good and pop good pellets, have no temp problems, famacha ok, but you can tell they might need a little something. I keep out free choice minerals from Southren states farm supply. (Mariarose like them when I sent a tag in a year or so ago) I see them eat the minerals from time to time. Just wondering if there is a quick picker upper so to speak that I could do .

·
TKC Farms
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:up: I agree...It really helps to see what you are. Thanks!
Here are a couple. The dapple is about 6 months old. The white one is 3 year old wether and weighs over 200 lbs.

IMG_3417.jpg
IMG_3409.jpg

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Now I can hear one member say Selenium..due to coat and crook.in the tail. For me. I get hold of my county extension office and ask whats the soil like in.my area. Whats low & high.in minerals. What % of protien does the hay
Run in my area? And talk to these people and get.goat people names from them. Every area is different.
Im in Okla. I have low selenium, copper& zinc. So I have to give my girls that on a regular schedule. But I also know what they get from their feed & minerals.
But thats how I got started to get my herd healthier.

·
TKC Farms
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I can hear one member say Selenium..due to coat and crook.in the tail. For me. I get hold of my county extension office and ask whats the soil like in.my area. Whats low & high.in minerals. What % of protien does the hay
Run in my area? And talk to these people and get.goat people names from them. Every area is different.
Im in Okla. I have low selenium, copper& zinc. So I have to give my girls that on a regular schedule. But I also know what they get from their feed & minerals.
But thats how I got started to get my herd healthier.
We are Selium deficient in my area. My hay that I feed is coastal Bermuda. I tried tiff 85, alica, and another that is common in our area, Bahia grass. I have Bahia in pastures and they eat very little of it. They won't touch anything but the costal Bermuda grass hay. This they seem to love it. The other just lays there and wastes away. I have check the soil and copper and zinc are low also.

·
TKC Farms
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are Selium deficient in my area. My hay that I feed is coastal Bermuda. I tried tiff 85, alica, and another that is common in our area, Bahia grass. I have Bahia in pastures and they eat very little of it. They won't touch anything but the costal Bermuda grass hay. This they seem to love it. The other just lays there and wastes away. I have check the soil and copper and zinc are low also.
Thanks for your input. It has me thinking mineral deficiency now. I believe you are right. Maybe I can figure out which and can do something about it.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Super Moderator
59,327 Posts
This is where you will have to play around with things like Replamin Plus, cobalt block, Himalayan salt rock and individual mineral supplements. There is a delicate balance that only you can figure out. You've got the knowledge. You can figure it out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The white one doesn’t look bad to me. The dapple I don’t love how she looks, have you given a cooper Bolus ever? What’s the cooper level in your mineral? I’d get a fecal on the dapple, it wouldn’t hurt to get one on the white one too.

you say that they’re eyelids are ok. What is okay?

·
TKC Farms
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is where you will have to play around with things like Replamin Plus, cobalt block, Himalayan salt rock and individual mineral supplements. There is a delicate balance that only you can figure out. You've got the knowledge. You can figure it out.
Thanks, I work these areas for a while. I have colbalt and iodine block out.( can't recall the correct name as the moment)

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,455 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts