What would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Jul 9, 2020.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I off and on have a goat that gets a little on the rough coat look and maybe sunken sides on rear above the belly. They eat good and pop good pellets, have no temp problems, famacha ok, but you can tell they might need a little something. I keep out free choice minerals from Southren states farm supply. (Mariarose like them when I sent a tag in a year or so ago) I see them eat the minerals from time to time. Just wondering if there is a quick picker upper so to speak that I could do .

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    :up: I agree...It really helps to see what you are. Thanks!

MadHouse likes this.
  4. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Here are a couple. The dapple is about 6 months old. The white one is 3 year old wether and weighs over 200 lbs.

IMG_3417.jpg IMG_3409.jpg

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Now I can hear one member say Selenium..due to coat and crook.in the tail. For me. I get hold of my county extension office and ask whats the soil like in.my area. Whats low & high.in minerals. What % of protien does the hay
    Run in my area? And talk to these people and get.goat people names from them. Every area is different.
    Im in Okla. I have low selenium, copper& zinc. So I have to give my girls that on a regular schedule. But I also know what they get from their feed & minerals.
    But thats how I got started to get my herd healthier.

Sfgwife likes this.
  6. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    We are Selium deficient in my area. My hay that I feed is coastal Bermuda. I tried tiff 85, alica, and another that is common in our area, Bahia grass. I have Bahia in pastures and they eat very little of it. They won’t touch anything but the costal Bermuda grass hay. This they seem to love it. The other just lays there and wastes away. I have check the soil and copper and zinc are low also.

7. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Thanks for your input. It has me thinking mineral deficiency now. I believe you are right. Maybe I can figure out which and can do something about it.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

This is where you will have to play around with things like Replamin Plus, cobalt block, Himalayan salt rock and individual mineral supplements. There is a delicate balance that only you can figure out. You've got the knowledge. You can figure it out.

toth boer goats likes this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would probably do about a month of Replamin plus - then I’d get Redmond Goat Mineral Salt for maintenance.

Would fecal test the little Brown once especially.

The white one looks okay to me.

10. RachelDawson

RachelDawson Active Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Stanford IL
    The white one doesn’t look bad to me. The dapple I don’t love how she looks, have you given a cooper Bolus ever? What’s the cooper level in your mineral? I’d get a fecal on the dapple, it wouldn’t hurt to get one on the white one too.

you say that they’re eyelids are ok. What is okay?

11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    :waiting::heehee:

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  12. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Thanks, I work these areas for a while. I have colbalt and iodine block out.( can’t recall the correct name as the moment)

13. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA