Whats a good camera?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Aug 25, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

So I need a new camera like asap bad! Id like to hear what people have and like. I want to get a nice one and of possible not too expensive

Thanks!

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I love Canon. a good point and shoot that I use is the Canon Powershot SX120is

look at my flickr in my signature. all with that camera.. for about $179

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree with Katrina, Canon is a great choice, and I know these days you can get a really nice point and shoot without spending a fortune.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    By now, mines an "antique" lol.....my brother in law worked at the Sony plant 5 years ago and said that a really good "cheap" camera was Sony Cybershot....so thats what I still have, it takes decent pics and never gave me a problem, 5 years ago though the price tag was over $200...I've seen them now at $100 or less.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have a Canon. I've gone through a few brands now and Canon is probably my favorite. I have the EOS Rebel XSi which is a little more spendy, but well worth it. If you go to my buck page. The good looking photos where the boys are shaved and stacked, I took with this camera.

6. TinyHoovesRanch

I forgot to mention that I want to be able to record videos too.....

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I can record video with the Sony Cybershot DSC-P73, I was able to get a 256mb memory stick at cost from my BIL and can get 15 minutes of video on it.

It's compact, easy to use and very affordable now.....like almost $150 cheaper than when I got my model...the ones from this year have increased mega pixels too. Not too complicated to set up and I can even use the tripod I have for my old vhs camcorder if I need hands free operation.
    Best Buy, Walmart and many online stores carry it so it's not difficult to find.

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Canon XSi is a good camera, but STAY AWAY from the Canon XS IMO. I had one and absolutely hated the thing! Maybe others have had better experience with it, but I sure didn't! It's a step down from the XSi.
    I bought mine brand new in Oct 2009 as a backup camera, got less than a thousand shots on it because I totally disliked the quality, the color was so dull, etc. I ended up selling the camera back in March, lost $$ on it, I want to kick myself for not returning it and getting a different model!

That's the only model so far from Canon that I dislike.

I'd choose the 20D over the XS, WITH THE EXCEPTION that the 20D does NOT have a sensor dust removing system - therefore it needs to be sent in for cleaning more often than the newer models.
    The 30D or newer in the DSLR dept. is what I'd go with. Or the XSi or I believe the other good model is the Tsi? or something like that I'd have to look it up, I believe it's the step up from the XSi.

I'm hoping and praying to upgrade to the Canon 50D or 7D next year, and use my 40D as a backup.
    I LOVE the 40D.

The 7D has video <no audio>, which could be useful.

I've not heard a lot of great things about the Nikon point and shoot cameras, BUT their line of DSLR equipment is really great. I've seen some excellent stuff come from Nikon. In fact, my friend whom I have done a lot of shooting with uses Nikon. We joke that we are like night and day --- Canon lenses are Grey while Nikon lenses are black.

I haven't uses a point and shoot in years, but I remember when I shopped for the last one I had, it was best to look for a good optical zoom and NOT a digital zoom on it. The optical zoom is where the quality is, the digital zoom - the further you zoom the more grainy it will look.

I'd also recommend getting a 1GB memory card and use the highest quality on your camera, which means you'll get the least amount of shots saved onto a card, BUT they will be the best quality you can get from the camera.

The mistake I made when I used point and shoot cameras was using a smaller memory card, and then I'd start to run out of room and lower the quality and forget to raise it, so I end up with a lot of grainy, low quality images. But then back then I didn't really understand any of that camera talk.

I have 21GB all together in my memory cards... there have been a couple of times I almost ran out of space! SICK...I know.... What's even more SICK is having to go through those pics...and then only use a tiny amount of them. I have so many pictures on my laptop that have never been touched....it's insanely SICK LOL

9. TinyHoovesRanch

Thanks for all that info LOL

So my old camera was a Nikon Coolpix touchscreen, I dont like it anymore, its only a year old and its already messing up.

I think im gonna go with a cannon. Here are some possible choices

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-12.1mp- ... p/12516411

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Your-Choice-C ... e/14521336

IF POSSIBLE....I would love to get this one.....just a little pricey..... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-4247B001AA/13969237

So those are a few. Let me know what you guys think. I dont have to get it from walmart lol just thought I would look there. It also doesnt have to be a cannon but it seems thats the best one

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-S90. It takes pretty good pictures and I have had it for about 6 years. I've used it A LOT and been happy with it.

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I tend to go on and on....but when it comes to cameras I can definitely go on and on.....I'm an equine photographer :)
    BUT, also... everything I know about cameras I've learned on my own, with a few tips along the way. I don't know it all, but I've learned a lot of important things along the way :)

Now with that said...... I am with you on the last camera you gave a link for. The other 2 look fine, but I like that last one more :)

Do you happen to shop at Walmart very often? You could write down these model numbers/name and go into the store and check out the camera - see if it really does appeal to you. Make sure it's comfortable, the buttons are easy to use.
    That has helped me make a few decisions in the past.

Buy online from a reputable store, look for a good deal :)

I do recommend Cameta Camera's store on ebay. Don't go through their website, GO TO their ebay site - better deals!
    I've had a great experience with them in the past, and my friend who is also a photographer buys all her equipment from them. They have package deals on new cameras, low prices, and the cameras have full warranties. Sometimes you can find refurbished or factory demos too - full warranty as well!

For the last camera you listed, here is a link to the ebay page with several different auctions on this camera, different colors, etc.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera_Di ... mit=Search

This is what I want....soooooo bad....... :tears: :hair: :GAAH:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-50D-Digit ... 20b2956c67

This would probably be my current 'dream' camera though....maybe next year...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-7D-18MP-H ... 53e3293476