The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Nigerian pygmies (Luke and Leia) that I've had for about two months. (Their now about four months) Both have had cocci. The vet told me when I treated leia, that it was because I was probably not keeping them clean...but I clean their barn at least every other day. Their water is fresh everyday, and they eat out of a raised feeder... Luke got it about a month later. Is there something else that could be causing it?? Have any of you had these problems??

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Your ground has coccidia in it. Once they started pooping on your ground, they "infected" it. So you probably have it everywhere that they have been. How big of an area do they have? Have you bleached out their shelter area?

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
You really can't get rid of parasites. They are everywhere. You have to learn how to manage them. Also healthy goats can handle a small load of them.

Husbandry plays a role too with keeping things clean and not overcrowding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have about forty feet by twenty feet of roaming ground and their barn is a good 9 feet by 9 feet. Should I add onto that? How do I bleach the pen?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Get a spray bottle and put bleach in it. Spray on completely cleaned out area. You can use diluted bleach but IMO no more than 1/2 and 1/2. Bleaching pens is a rotten job and you still won't get rid of ALL the parasites. But you really need it to dry out too. parasites like wet.

Also, once a week, bleach their food dishes. Even if you don't see them stepping in it, they're likely to do so and it's just good preventive practice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great! I will try that today! No, they have two of those type of areas, and I switch them back and forth every so often.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I would order Baycox.....it kills all stages of cocci unlike sulfa drugs
Since you have a issue with Cocci, I would treat 2 times ten days apart..then as needed...
Continue the raking of goat berries a few times a week to help reduce repopulating the area..

to order Baycox...horseprerace.com
treatment is 1 cc per 5#

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
sadly coccidia is common with young kids especially. But i recommend what the others have stated. And your vet is wrong - you can have a clean area and STILL have goats who succumb to coccidia infestation. but the cleaner the area the better.

Its likely your treatment isnt fully eradicating the parasites and they are getting reinfected because they already have compromised systems. What have you been using to treat the coccida and for how long? Did you repeat treatment? if so with what?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts