What's Up with Our Goats? (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by FourSnyders, Jun 24, 2009.

1. FourSnyders

FourSnyders New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Ohio
    I hope I posted this in the right section. :) Not sure what is going on here, but our goats (one in particular) are starting to look pretty "fat." Not sure if it is really fat though. We do worm them every month, trim their hooves, etc. We have not yet given them their CD/T this year; NEED TO DO THAT! This past Sunday we dusted them for mites. Any ideas here? They are all acting normal and have pink gums.

Moswen (Boer mix, 2 yrs.):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Joey (Boer mix, 2 yrs.):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help!

The Snyders

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The pictures did not show and the links are not working :shrug:

3. FourSnyders

FourSnyders New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Sorry I made them italicized instead of using the image tags! Silly me! LOL! Sorry once again, I fixed it now.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    um not seeing what you think is wrong....they are boer mixes so they will have a little chunk to them.

5. FourSnyders

FourSnyders New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't know. I was just wondering what you guys thought. The one (Joey) just seems a bit thinner than Moswen.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How much grain are you feeding? And what kind of hay?

Have they been exposed to a buck or next to a fence where a buck may be?
    Has the doe ever kidded before?

Worming every month ,may not be a good idea...it concerns me....... that giving it that
    often... may make your goats immuned to the wormers...... :hug:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    seem normal to me.
    boer do have a bit of 'chunk'

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have to agree with Pam. I think you are OVER WORMING them. Are you doing a fecal float on them before you worm them? What types of worms are you trying to get of?

I have only dewormed my goats 3 times in the the 9 years of having them. If they do not have a problem and you are deworming that much, then you will have a real problem when you try to really get rid of them. The worms will become immune to the dewormer. That is why so many dewormers are not working on goats anymore.

9. FourSnyders

FourSnyders New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Neither have kidded before. We switch between two wormers, one one month and the other the other month. There are three feed buckets (we also have a pygmy) and each bucket gets a heaping cup of Dumor Goat feed. They also get a grass hay and they have a salt block. They always have fresh water. Our neighbors have a Nubian buck, but he appears to be a wether; although we have never asked the neighbors. Other than that though there are no other goats. We use Safeguard liquid wormer and IVESCO Goat Dewormer Concentrate. Whenever the vet does a fecal he tells us they have too many worms, but they never have any symptoms of worm problems. I guess we don't need to worm them unless we have trouble with them then.? Thanks for all the replies!

10. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    When the vet says "too many" is he giving you a number? cause goats always have some.

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yep, you are woming too often & you will run into resistant problems alot sooner than those of us who only worm a couple times of year.
    According to Dr David Pugh (Langston U if I rmember right) the best way besides worming individually on an as needed basis is to use only one class of wormers till it doesnt work anymore, then switch.
    Now to see if your Boers are too fat you will have to try & grab a chunk of fat behind the elbow. If you cant they are fine. Another is if the tail is squishy. You should not have trouble feeling ribs either.
    We have Boers & theres a couple of real tubs out there!! Yours dont LOOK fat but you will have to feel for yourself.
    My gosh did they take these pics themselves & post them?
    "Do I look fat?"
    "Is my butt to big?"
    (just giving you a bad time)

12. FourSnyders

FourSnyders New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Ohio
    So how often should I be worming them then?

13. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Please stop using safeguard, you might as well give them a big drencher full of water. Chronic worm problems will cause goats to run on the thin side. We raise OVER 90 Boers and Boer X goats in the worm capitol of the world, Freestone Co., Texas. We use the FAMACHA system to check our goats and ONLY WORM THEM WHEN WE NEED TO! Go to a FAMACHA class and stop worming the goats monthly. Go to www.scsrpc.org to learn more about FAMACHA and the proper way to maintain your herd. If you worm monthly, all you are doing is making the worms stronger and resistant to the wormer you are using. We presently are using cydectin injectable at a rate of 1 cc per 50 pounds of goat, orally. We have found that it is easier to give the wormer orally cuz the amount is so small and the goats hardly notice it when you give it.
    Let me repeat please, and take heed!
    STOP WORMING MONTHLY. LEARN HOW TO FAMACHA CHECK! ONCE YOU HAVE LEARNED HOW TO FAMACHA CHECK, ONLY WORM THE GOATS WHEN THEY NEED WORMER, THIS WILL PREVENT WORM RESISTANCE TO THE WORMER YOU ARE USING. USE A WORMER, THEN FECAL TEST, IF IT AIN'T WORKING, THEN MOVE ON TO ANOTHER WORMER. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, THEN PLEASE E-MAIL ME AND I WILL TRY TO HELP AS I HAVE DEALT WITH THIS FOR YEARS AND TRY TO STAY UP ON THE LATEST INFO IN THE WORM FIGHT!
    There, I'm gonna get off of my soapbox now and go sit in the corner!

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    What we do need to remember guys, is that worming needs are different in every different location, in terms of both frequency and product efficiency.

I only worm twice a year, in a really wet year I go three times a year. But I have a friend about 10 hrs away on the coast, who has to worm every month.

Same with the product, Panacur (white benzimidazole drench) does not work on 90% of NSW properties, but it works okay for my goats.

Snyder - they look healthy to me!

But I'd suggest cutting back the worming just as an experiment - see what happens, and if you start to have problems, you can always increase it :)

Also, for those wondering about resistance, alternating monthly isnt much good, neither is using a drench until it doesnt work anymore, then changing! Your best bet is to rotate drenches yearly - simple, straightforward, and effective.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am with Keren on this. Especially since the you have had fecals done and the vet says they are loaded with worms. You are doing only what you can to break the cycle of the worms but I would go one step further on this.

Have a fecal done before your next worming schedule. Then worm them according to what worms they have. 7-10 days later worm again, this catches the second "set" of worms that hatch from the eggs laid before. Then have their fecal checked. This will let you know if your wormer is working. If it works then you know that wormer is effective in your area.

Safeguard is still effective in many areas against tapeworms. But I wouldnt recomend it for a general wormer. Ivermectin still works for me..........other places it isnt effective at all. So you have to find what works.

It is a process but once you know what does work you will be greatful because you will be treating effectively and the vet will finaly tell you "its a clean fecal" :)

The Eyelid color does work sometimes but a bad case of Cocci or a goat who has recently kidded can be paler but not have worms. So the best thing is to get the fecal done.

Reminds me I really need to do my goats! -- maybe I will do that tonight

16. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They look like healthy goats to me?? :shrug: But yeah, agree w/ other posts about the deworming.

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey....worming then doing it again 10 days later... will get the hatching eggs.....With monthly worming... it seems as if... you are never breaking the cycle....if you try the 10 days later method....let us know... how it goes after treatment .....it may finally stop the cycle and get things under control.. :wink: good luck

18. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Yep, I agree with Stacey too. I repeat wormings in 10 days here, for that exact reason. Also, I'm in Ohio, in the NW corner, and Ivermectin is still working for me.

But she definitely hit the nail on the head about having the fecal done again after the 2nd worming. If your wormer isn't working, then your throwing your money away on it, so the follow-up fecal will definitely help you to find out if that's the case or not. :)

19. DebianDog

DebianDog New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Yes Safeguard is one of the most ineffective ones (most resistance) you can use according to a study done at the University of North Carolina. Can't find the study online but it memorable to be because the Safegaurd rep was there and the speaker apologized when he brought up the test results. I do remember the study was done with fecal sample from around the US, Vigin Islands, and Porto Rico. Cydectin had the best results.

The speaker also said the reason Safeguard had the most resistance was because it was used so effectively for so long. Nature adapts is the lesson there I guess.

He also suggested alternating your de-wormers and de-worming ONLY when necessary (not on a schedule) as you can never totally eliminate the worms only keep them in check.

20. You need to worm as needed. By checking stool and eyes you will learn when it is time.

I am not sure I saw you state what you use to worm and how you are giving, amounts etc. That will help.