The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my understanding that Nubians were the number one goat choice for years, but at least in my area (northern NY), nubians are becoming as scarce as hen's teeth. People are getting out of them, opting for breeds they think are hardier or with higher milk volume.

Does anyone else see this?

Although I have a pygmy and a few boers, I can't imagine having anything but Nubians.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
If that is the case, it sounds to me like they weren't working on breeding the Nubians to improve the breed including hardiness and worm resistance and milk production. I think things go in cycles anyway. Nubians are hot today, then Alpines will be the hot goat to own tomorrow (just an example).

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I love Nubians, around here there are more Boers than anything followed closely bypygmys. I think dairy goats just arent as popular here. Of the dairy goats though Nubians and Lamanchas are the most common here. You see a few nigerian dwarfs, rarely see Alpines or saanans or toggs. Although right now there are somw nice toggs for sale on craigslist.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Nubians are super popular around me. If you go on the ADGA site and look up breeders, just search for Nubian breeders in OK, the list is about a mile long. Then search for Saanen breeders in OK and there are only about 10-15 of them. There are some Alpines, but not a lot, very few Oberhasli's and Toggenburgs and a ton of Nigerians.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
I LOVE MY NUBIAN. I can't say more than that! She is SO perfect! She is pushy, sweet, awesome, and colorful! And she isn't loud!

Attachments

·
1,983 Posts
I love my nubian too! I wish I had more. Nigerians are the most plentiful in my area. Most standard dairy goats around here are mix breeds. I have only really ever heard 2 complaints about Nubians 1. they have bad reputation for being loud(Arabella is NOTHING compared to my nigies) 2. the roman nose is a turn off. I guess I can understand you have to like the way they look I don't have lamanchas because of their ears.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Ok I will share what I feel has been happening a lot with Nubians in general. I have seen a lot of individuals breeding for breeding and not breeding for milk. In my opinion (I am a Nubian person mind you) you can not beat a Nubian for milk. I love the taste and amount of milk produced but if the goats are randomly being bred then lower producing does are going to make them appear as a lower level breed. Once again breeding for breeding will give you smaller teats and poor udders that make it not very enjoyable for hand milking. That being said a good Nubian will be a pleasure to milk and can produce for a good length of time. I am very lucky to have one doe that produces about 2 gallons a day and she has produced for almost a full year before when I decided to dry her off before her next breeding. Now some Nubians can not produce that amount or anywhere near that duration any more due to poor breeding practice.

If you find a good breeder with quality Nubians then that doe will steal your heart by filling your pail full beyond your wildest dreams.

Now Nubians can be on the loud side. They love to talk and tell you what they want/need. If they are hungry they will ask for food. If they are lonely they will ask for attention or company. If they are not happy they will let you know. Weaning time can be a very heartbreaking/ear-bleeding time if you are not set up or prepared for it. I think Nubians may be the loudest breed known around my part of the woods. I try to wean small groups together and let their mothers learn to hang out together before weaning the kids when time is right. Placing them far apart so they can not hear each other shouting. Providing plenty of hay, snacks and general TLC (extra loven's).

I would not trade my Nubians for any other breed. I had a LaMancha for a short time and she was nice but all my other girls beat her up non-stop (she had to go for her own well-being). The LaMancha was quite (I really thought it was odd being use to Nubians), polite, not pushy and really could have cared less if she got any attention. I have one Boer and she is a sweet heart but then again she thinks she is a Nubian (long story).

I guess for me Nubians are the best breed for my personality and farm desires. I live far enough away no one cares about them making a loud fit when weaning kids. I have 5 goats in milk now and two refrigs full of milk (not to mention freezers full of frozen milk). I have more milk then most people can shake a stick at, but I use most of it for myself and the rest my family uses. I really enjoy the sound of my goats calling for my attention and their friendly personalities they bring to the farm.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love my nubians because I love the roman nose and the ears, and I really don't care for wattles or beards.

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
This is just my personal observation, but it seems like all of the Nubian cross goats that we have are our most healthiest goats. I have a Nubian/lamancha cross that has never had to be wormed. She always has perfect eye color and is no maintenance whatsoever.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
My first two goats where Nubians. But they were both raised with Alpines and Lamanchas. Saying that one of them still acted like a normal Nubian while the other acted like an Alpine.

Nubians (for the most part but not all) are loud, dumb and dont milk a lot. Now I know there are Nubian owners who will disagree but as a breed in whole, the above is true. But they sure are cute!

·
962 Posts
It doesn't seem that way to me. I go to several shows here in NY and nubians still are always the top breed with the most. Nigerians usually tie them for numbers.Every other breed seems to be slacking to me. Nubian numbers have never been better here. I see a ton of people always getting and buying new nubians to start their herds.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I dont think Daffodil is loud or dumb. I think she is very intelligent. The only time she is ever loud was right after I got her (taken from her herd and by herself for the first time) and when the last of the bucklings died (alone again) She rarely bleats and when she does she has a reason. She is VERY quiet at dusk. I think she doesnt want to alert predators that she is there. I dont know what she milks but know many nubians that give a gallon and a half a day. That is plenty for me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Vincek, I didn't know that you had goats!! Our families have intermingled over the years, we went to st. Clements and my father David englehart always spoke so highly of your father and Dave wood bless his soul. But anyways I saw someone standing by your veggie stand and the goat was there too sooooooo cute!!!!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
NubianFan, I didnt say Daffodil was loud or dumb. I say most Nubians are. The key word being most. And like I said, one of mine was not a typical Nubian at all. She was very smart. In fact maybe even the smartest goat I have ever owned.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I just wonder how many you are basing the observation of most. The two you owned or more? Because 2 individuals does not make a very good sample for the entire population.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts