What's wrong??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Muddy Creek Farm, May 14, 2008.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Here is a 3 week old doeling, she has hair loss around her eyes and it is kinda crusty, her brother has it too.

[​IMG]

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would check for an etropion eye lid.

Also is there dusty hay or is the wind blowing alot?

Could the scabs from disbudding be itchy and they are rubbing their face on something?

Do any of the others have this?

Eye discharge?

Temp?

Eating / drinking normal?

Normal energy?

K - I think I am done with questions for a bit.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    The eye is fine, it looks funny in the pic but there is no problem with the eye itself. Just the fur missing around the eye. Her brother does have a little eye watery but it isn't watering today.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'd say they are scratching those itchy scabs from the dis bud, and since the buds are so close to the brow, they'
    re rubbing their eyes on whatever they can find as well as using dirty little hooves which can be causing the watery eyes....JMO :)

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I hope that is all it is!! The doe's inder chin is also a little crusty, so I was just a bit worried.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Since you are not seeing lice and theres no hairloss any where but around their faces, I think it's safe to say that they are scratching at the scabs.

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I was also think about mites?? What is the treatment for them?

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Pretty sure that you can use the same for them as you would use for lice, but I would be super careful using anything chemical around their faces especially the eyes. Don't know but if you have a microscope or even a magnifying glass you may be able to "scrape" the areas and see if you find any critters. :shrug: I'd check to be sure before I would put anything on them they wouldn't need.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ivomec injectable works for mites..... But if none of the other goats are showing symptoms, I would say that they are itching their heads on something. If the discharge becomes bad or changes from clear - then I would be concerned = IMO.

Hope that helps
    Allison

10. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Our one little doe had that same thing when she was a few mos old. The vet said it was allergies or a minor iritation and gave us Neobacimyx-H salve to put on it. (it is Bacitracin, Neomyci, Polyxin, Hydrocortizone Acetate 1%) Put it on twice a day for a week and it cleared up.

11. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    RX is the abreviation for prescription.

12. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh no sorry, I meant was the cream an RX?

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I've used tripple antibiotic ointment for this too- just from the drugstore. As long as you aren't putting it in the eye, just around it.

14. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Sorry. I just assume it was because the vet gave it to us. I have looked around for it at TSC but haven't seen anything like it. Haven't tried the pharmacy yet. Bacitracin ointment may work if you can't get an RX.