What's Your Daily Routine?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by MellonFriend, Dec 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I thought this would be a good learning experience to see what all of your daily routines look like. So what does your routine look like?:happygoat:

capracreek and wifeof1 like this.
  2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    First thing in the morning I feed grain to the does, and milk as needed
    If anyone needs a hoof trim I trim while they're eating grain
    Let the kids out (I separate them from their dams overnight)
    Then water everyone
    Feed the dogs
    Feed minerals
    Then copper bolus, selenium, whatever meds need to be given
    Muck out as needed
    Then in the afternoon I hay as needed (usually several times a week)
    Feed the dogs
    Train with the dogs
    And then at night I feed and milk if anyone is in milk (if no one is in milk they only get grain once a day)
    And lastly lock the kids up

capracreek, wifeof1 and MellonFriend like this.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well my routine is always changing depending on what I have going on during that time of the year as well as if I have kids.
    So I’ll tell you what I’m doing now (not a busy time of year)
    First I take kids to school lol on the way back I feed the bucks their hay and alfalfa pellets. I then feed the pigs their breakfast and then water and check out out minerals.
    Right now I’m getting ready for kidding so I’m building their “barn” and kidding stalls. If I didn’t have that going on I would do probably House work or yard work, shots if needed whatever.
    Since the cows are home and I don’t much like building fence lol I then feed cows at 4 and then feed the goats while they are busy eating. Pack wood in the house, get kids showered and then start dinner. Honestly right now is a boring time lol

4. goat girls

goat girls Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    My routine is pretty easy right now
    First I go out and open up the barn doors let the barn air out while I take of the goat's coats then I break the ice in the water buckets
    Then I feed, check minerals, fill waters,check Does for heat and possible take them for a supervised date. I rasie pack goats so when breakfast is done then it's training time. Then I let them be goats and then check hooves and feed evening hay. In the summer it's a bit differint cause of milking, kidding, no ice in the waters and no goat dates

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I make every attempt to treat my herd like a beef cattle herd with minimal intervention. So right now (winter in my area): I usually get out of the house about 9:30pm bundled up and with an LED head lamp, drive the Kubota to the well and fill the 60 gal water tank in the back, then over to the hay barn and load up 3 square bales, then up the hill to the goat barn. I distribute hay to the hay racks, fill all the water tubs, do a head count & back-end viewing (udder development, no scours, etc.), and put grain in the creep feeder for the juniors. Hand out a few cookies (peppermint horse treats) and give some scratches to those who want them, and then back to the house to get ready for bed!

Once in a while I will do a drive by on my way out the door in the morning to make sure there are no issues or if I'm concerned about any of them, but usually not as they are all snuggled in and warm and I hate to disturb them & get them up.

notto7, wifeof1 and cbrossard like this.
  6. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    why do you do barn work at night?

wifeof1 likes this.
  7. wifeof1

wifeof1 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    I get over to the barn about 7. Get the hot water on, put feed in the milking stand feeder and get my one doe that is still in milk. I use a bucket milking machine and go open stalls and feed the others while she is giving up the good stuff.

When everybody has their biscuit, I put the milk bucket in the barn fridge and take my doe back to the girls pen.
    Next I dump and refill water buckets. The girls and kids get hot water added to the fresh water.
    Then I open the pasture gate and start poop patrol in the pens since the berry machines are all out searching the pasture for acorns.
    About 8:30 I take the milk in, strain it, clean the bucket and have my breakfast.
    I do a head count at noon, then my paying job til 4.
    At 4:30, I go night feed, top off water buckets, and lock ever one inside their stalls. Grain feed the ones on grain.
    After dinner, I play banjo.

Maintenace chores. Feet trims, supplements, brushing, and training, are done as needed.
    Forgot to add. I do this in my pj's.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  8. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    That's just how my days tend to work out. I'm not a morning person and live far from work, so evenings it is. And by the time I get home, get the baby to bed, have dinner, take care of the pets and a few house chores- the barn is my last stop of the night. I love not being rushed and enjoying the peace up there before bed.

9. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    When I have the time I will read these posts and then post my current (it changes constantly, depending on the needs of the goat(s) and whatnot) routine... right now I have to go out and check on a naughty (lol, she's just doing her duty!) goat that refuses to let go of her kids... and then I have to go to bed and get up in the middle of the night to check on that same doe. :lolgoat:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Madgoat and MellonFriend like this.
  10. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    Boy Goat_Scout sound like fun

Goat_Scout likes this.
  11. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    I work nights (from home) so I finish work at 5:40 which is what time I wake my 7 y/o. I get him showered and ready for school. Take him at 6:30. Get home and yell at my 16 and 17 y/o to get going before they are late for school (theirs starts an hour after the wee one). As soon as they are gone I feed the cats, dogs, chickens, ducks, and goats. I walk the dogs, squish udders, check girlie bits, do some housework, make sure I have everything in order (Bill paying, school functions, etc), then about 8:30 or so I go to bed. Alarm goes off at 12:00. I shower, start dinner or figure it out, make sure all animals needs are met, usually try to catch up on news and call my momma then at 2:30 go pick my little one up from school. We do homework and talk over his day. I get dinner finished. Depending on the time of year my older kids may or may not be home. If so I spend time talking with them about their day over dinner, if not I do when they get home. All outside animals are cared for making sure they are settled and have full tummies for the night. I get my kiddos settled for the night, guzzle coffee, and start over again.

12. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Well right now, the herd is pretty low maintenance. So when I get home from work at 6, I go out and give the does, replacement does, and bucks their hay. Check the buck's water, check the chickens water/feed. Kind of do an overall glance at everyone/everything and a headcount. Then I'm all done!

I always get home in the dark this time of the year, so there's not a whole lot I can do anyway.

End of March is where the real fun starts, where I just accept that the barn is my new home. ;)

13. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Get up,
    read my Bible and drink too much coffee,
    check TGS and my email in order to stall having to do chores.

Do chores. ;-)

14. MellonFriend

So let me get this straight, you only get three and a half hours of sleep?

wifeof1 and New-goat-mom like this.
  15. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

That is what I read, too.

New-goat-mom likes this.
  16. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    And you both read correctly. I try to rest for an hour or so in the evening if I get the chance but that doesn't always happen. Thankfully I have never required much sleep but as I get older I feel it taking its toll. I keep thinking that one day the kids will be grown and if I survive that long it will have been worth it.

wifeof1 and MellonFriend like this.
  17. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I envy you! I know there is a good handful of people that seem to be ok with not a lot of sleep but I can hardly survive off only 8 hours lol
    I have total respect for all of you that have a job and do the Goats as well as take care of
    Your kids. I like to think I’m a strong woman but hands down you girls are awesome! Even you guys that hold a job and raise Goats are awesome!

18. MellonFriend

Wow that is incredible! I suffer if I don't get eight hours of sleep. Just as I posted this Jessica said the same thing.

wifeof1 and New-goat-mom like this.
  19. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I'm picturing a classroom full of squirmy, chubby, mischievous Boer kids, committing various mayhems. The Schoolmaster is a HUGE mature, ponderous and wrinkly Boer buck, with pair of old fashioned half-spectacles perched on the crest of his huge roman nose. a pointer in his cloven hoof. He is sternly looking at the miscreants over his specs, the forgotten pointer ironically drawing the eye toward South Africa.

20. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Lol I pictured it all in my head as I read lol ok human kids :p