The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Nubians BY FAR... I have four Nigerian Dwarves, had an Alpine, Have one Lamancha, Have one Nubian, and I think that is all...

I will only ever purchase a Nubian. Hoping to sell the NDs soon.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Pick a favorite??? HA! I love my Nubians, so sweet and mine is timid, then my wonderful Guernseys, so laid back and quiet... they talk but they have a more muted voice, can't pick a favorite, love them all....

·
Registered
326 Posts
I Love mini mancha, lamanchas, nigerians and Nubians! I can't decide which is my most favorite but if I had to pick it would be the lamancha, they are so quite and sweet.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
My favorite is definitely Boer. They are so playful, but still gentle and very loving. It is amazing how they have the simplest coloration range and you can still get caught up in a cute little blaze that they have, or a small spot on their side.

Second is Nubian. They tend to be dominant and sometimes pushy in a herd, but I love their ears! They are the cutest things when they are born too.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I love pygmy and Nigerians. I started off with just pygmy but they come in limited colors. So now I also have Nigerians which I love because the come in all sorts of colors with spots and blue eyes :D

·
Registered
818 Posts
Nubians-I love how affectionate and gentle they are, even though I wish they didn't cry for me for hours every day. Their milk is delicious.

Alpines-I love that she is so quiet and obedient in the show ring. She still sleeps on my lap when I sit on the ground. :) But she is such a bully to the other goats.

Lamanchas-I love their ears and their adorable eyes. Their personalities seem great. I guess I will learn more about them soon!

I have yet to find the "perfect" goat,. Obviously there are variances among animals of a breed, but this is just what I have seen in my own herd. I love them all for who they are. :)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Toggenburgs by far! They are sweet, loving, playful, not too pushy but not that laid back either, and friendly. But I've only had three Toggenburgs so they could vary lol!

·
1,524 Posts
My favorite by far is Alpine. Oberhasli follows in the #2 spot, with Lamanchas in 3rd.

I have Nubians too, but they are not my favorite. I enjoyed the Nigerians but I don't like their size, too dangerous around my prey driven dogs, not enough milk and most are difficult to milk with arthritic hands. I had a herd of Saanens left behind by a farm hand (top quality herd he paid mega bucks for) and they were sweet enough, but I'm not a fan of all white goats! I had a Togg/Alpine cross rescue doe that was great, so i would like to own a Togg some day.

I had Boers too. They were nice animals, but raising meat just wasn't for me.

I had a few Pygmies, but for me, they were pretty useless. I can't afford to have just pets, they need to earn their keep. The Pygs just couldn't do that. Even selling as pets, people in my area just never got into Pygmies, preferring the Nigerians.

I've never had fiber goats, have heard they are sweet. Wanted to for a while and learn to spin but that pesky money thing just keeps getting in the way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts