The Goat Spot Forum banner

Favorite Month for Kidding

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still trying to figure out when I want to kid for the first time and I thought a poll would be helpful. So what's your favorite month to kid in? (why would be great too). It's funny because I was at my vet a few weeks ago, and there was a goat farmer there, and he told me that he likes spring babies because they do better. Then I was talking to my hay supplier, and he said in the exact same way he like fall babies because "they do better"!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
I am still trying to figure out when I want to kid for the first time and I thought a poll would be helpful. So what's your favorite month to kid in? (why would be great too). It's funny because I was at my vet a few weeks ago, and there was a goat farmer there, and he told me that he likes spring babies because they do better. Then I was talking to my hay supplier, and he said in the exact same way he like fall babies because "they do better"!:rolleyes:
Around here a lot of people prefer to kid jan thru early april. They say while yes it is colder the kids grow better. I often wonder if it because the doe makes more fat in her milk during the cold to give more warmth to the kids. Plus by kidding then (if it is winter/early spring for your area) you have less worm and coccidia to deal with.

I do not want my does big pregnant in the miserable hot of summer in NC. And then kidding on to of that hot too. That is unneeded stress to my does. We hit triple digits frequently and for long periods here. So nope. Yes cold kidding is miserable for us but better on the does i think. Cattle here are also bred to calf in winter as well.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I'm all for the cooler drier months too, March-October are too wet and flys and other creepy crawlies are out and in attack mode. Then also This is Texas and it's hotter than the devil with ridiculous humidity too so I have to air condition any indoor area that I'd kid in to keep bugs and heat to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I also prefer the coldish months. January-March are my favorite. The grass is just starting to come in. It is not too hot, and not too cold. It is much easier to keep them warm than it is to try and keep them cool. Lots of parasites, insects, and more predators are around in the warmer/longer months. You also get a much higer price around here if you kid between Nov-Jan. By the time the other kids are just born, mine are weaned and ready to go. Once the kid season starts in march the prices go down and hit a low in june/july. I could get $200 for a kid weaned in January, and for that same kid I would get maybe $125 in June(That said, my does said to heck with my plan. They have their own. Almost all are kidding in May-June:p) We usually have pretty mild winters though, and since I bottle raise about 70-80% of the kids born it is super easy to bring them into the garage or house if its cold. It is 57° out now. I put 3 kids outside about an hour ago and even in the shade they are panting a bit.

·
Super Moderator
59,755 Posts
You have to think about things like are you available to be around if they kid in the cold. Do you have a draft free place to put them if the weather is very cold and bad. While there are good reasons to kid during the colder months, frozen dead kids can happen if you aren't around.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I'd like to have my does kid in November but won't use artificial hormones to make that happen. So we kid in March. My barn is weather proof but it's not warm, and January & February kids are too prone to go subtemp or get frostbitten ears, no matter how hard of an effort I make to be there for every kidding.

Even March is not ideal, because kids are still young when parasite season begins peaking. And then this winter in particular has been insanely mild and yesterday it got to 70*F which was crazy and my poor pregnant does, still sporting winter woolies, were panting even in shade. I felt so bad for them. I typically hold my kids to sell until August/September as prices rise again. July prices are not favorable here either with the flush market.

I also don't market for 4H or other types of shows so the timing is not important.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I breed the market types for December/January kidding for the 4H market and dairy does for March. I hate the cold weather kidding but the kids do well. We have really wet winters here so there are still a host of things that cause problems plus the does all stay in the barn so it’s close quarters. March here is pretty good although it’s been a warm year but nights are still just below freezing so bugs/parasites aren’t usually bad until May or June. I try very hard not to have any goats kid past April.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I’ve tried probably every month there is over the years. December seems to be all around best. It’s not terribly cold yet, well for them, I hate the cold! The grass starts to come in when they are old enough to start nibbling. I can hit most of the fair market, I’m not last offering breeding does so buyers have not spent all their money already, and ultimately the only market I can 100% count on is at the sale yard and I’m able to hit that before prices drastically drop after the first of May. The worst time is definitely late spring and the Summer. Kids don’t grow as well, it’s hot, the grass is either gone, dead or dying off.
But your going to find different areas shoot for different times for different reasons. If I was in a area like salteylove where it sounds like it gets down right cold, no way would I kid in that. I would instantly die as soon as I walked out the door lol

·
14,802 Posts
We had December kids in 2018 and it was good, no issues. I'd breed for Dec again, but generally whatever buck we are using is being shown and we try not to stress them until after they are done showing.
January is probably my favorite. Sure, it's a gamble on being cold, and wet. But generally our January kids grow really well, and because we show in the summer, and sometimes sell to kids who show, I try to get them weaned by end of March or end of April if possible (10-12 weeks).
Honestly, February around here seems to be a tough month. a lot of crazy stuff just seems to happen - either toxemia issues or birthing complications. Over the years we lost 2 does to toxemia - 2 years apart both in the last week of February.

I don't care for summer kidding at all, we had a few, mostly years ago that kidded during the summer and I found they were more prone to issues especially mites and internal parasites. Plus they just didn't seem to grow very well, maybe eating less overall because of the heat?

·
Registered
275 Posts
We kid in January, our 4h/FFA market goats have to be born after January 1.
The ground is typically frozen, we dont have to worry about parasites or flies.
We have a nice barn that stats dry and draft free, we haven't had any problems with the cold.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
We kid in January, our 4h/FFA market goats have to be born after January 1.
The ground is typically frozen, we dont have to worry about parasites or flies.
We have a nice barn that stats dry and draft free, we haven't had any problems with the cold.
Which state do you live in?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts