What's your fence voltage & is this fence "goat proof"?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mischief Managed, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Mischief Managed

Mischief Managed New Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm looking to get my first goat, and i'm wondering if my fence is adequate.

On one side, I have 4' woven wire, with a strand of electric on top. Around the rest of the pasture is 4 strands of horseguard tape. The charger is a 6v solar charger.

I've read a lot of things from horse people's experiences that makes it sound like goats need a velociraptor fence, but searching on here, I don't see anyone having problems with goats getting out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    As long as they cant sneak underneath (Such as a earth/ground wire on the bottom line) and you let them know its hot then you shouldnt have a problem. Your horseguard fencing should hold them for sure though.

3. Desert Viking Ranch

Desert Viking Ranch New Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Arizona
    :ROFL: :laugh:

Well said - some goats are quite the pain!

I think every goat is different and some will try your patience and some are very behaved. I would certainly try to enhance the bottom portion - maybe a hot wire 6 inches up. I notice more often than not mine go low before they go high. I have not yet done electric fencing but plan to this summer as part of a portable pen area for some of our river proprety that cant be permanently fenced in due to flooding during our annual monsoons. I'd like to find more information about this as well.

My best fencing success yet is the 5' horse fence in their winter pens - its like alcatraz for them :p

4. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    I use electric fencing & my goats don't get out unless the electricity is down & there paddock is chewed out
    it is 4 cord fence...I'll see if I can find a photo :)

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Hmmm I think I've seen these pictures before ;)

6. Mischief Managed

Mischief Managed New Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Really? Are you on COTH?

7. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Yes'm. Either has Epona142 or Epona1422..I forget. Sometimes I lose my password and end up adding another 2 lol.

I think I even responded to that thread. Maybe. I forget!