whats your opion on milking a fisrt time freshner?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by doneroamingacres, Apr 10, 2008.

1. doneroamingacres

doneroamingacres New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Sayre,PA
    I'm new to the goat buisness and I've heard that people believe that you shouldn't milk a first time freshner. I'm milking my yearling Bailey and she seems to be milking fine. So what do you do or think? Should you milk a first time milker or start milking her the second year, and why? Thanks!
    Kelsey

2. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    I'm milking mine but thats why I got into dairy goats.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i have heard that a lot as well. but you have to milkl her for the first time eventually. I have had does perfectly calm on the stand the first time they go on it and others that are jumping all over. i bottle raise all my kids, so i milk FF

beth

4. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    I've never heard that one. Has anybody told you why you shouldn't milk a FF? Seems like you would have wasted at least two years on a doe if you waited until her second freshening to milk her and then found out she wasn't a good milker. I've always milked my first fresheners anyway. :shrug:

Kristen

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I milk FF and it seems to tame them down a bit too if they are on the wild side.

I see no reason not to :shrug:

She is there to milk, she is going to produce that milk - might as well enjoy it right :greengrin:

It will also help her with capacity

6. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Why ever not???!

The only thing I can think of why someone would say they never milk FF is because they are too lazy, or not raising goats for milk.

Myself, I have goats because I like them, not for the milk, so I am happy to dam raise whenever I can. :) (but only knowing CAE neg!)

7. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    I milked my first freshener her first time. Her teats were really small so it wasn't the easiest, but I let her kids nurse her too for awhile. That helped some. And that is the only reason I have ever heard of for not hand milking a first freshener. Because their teats are small at first some people let the kids do it the first time till they're weaned. And then they hand milk.

8. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I have never heard that before. I have always milk ff. I want them to get use to handling etc. Their teats are usually smaller than I like so sometimes it takes longer but they learn patience. I love to milk, it is a relaxing time for me.
    Sue

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I have heard of that before, but from what I've read, it is VERY important to milk a first freshener for her full lactation. If you don't, it can and will affect how much and how long they will milk in later lactations. The longer you milk them as FF, the easier it will be to make them have long lactations as an adult.

10. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    I have never heard that one. I breed my March kids every year to get Yearling milkers to show and to get
    them going on test to earn their milking star. Most of mine produce 8-10lbs a day as a yearling ff.That is a lot of milk to pass up.
    As far as milking they stand fine , may lift a leg once in a while but so do older goats.

11. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    i think a lot has to do with the age of FF. if they are bred young, so they kid when they are 12 month old, some people believe they should dry them off to let them grow more. if a kid grew well in the first couple of month and is in excellent condition, she can, and should be milked because that is what she was bred for.

12. doneroamingacres

doneroamingacres New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Sayre,PA
    Thanks for the opions! I love milking my yearling bailey, so I'm milking FF.

13. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I milk some, not long term and yes I do milk ff too. Tends to help with stretching the teats out and keeping capacity up for her next freshening.

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We milk our ff does too, not for a long time usually. This year I will be breeding my two girls for early, early spring kids and I plan on milking them long term, hopefully their udders are awesome and make me proud! It's so hard waiting!

15. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    I've also heard about not milking a FF, and that it had to do with the size of the teats.

Personally, though, I plan to milk my girl when she is a FF. Hey, we both need the practice :greengrin:

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i milk my ff doe's but i let them raise their kids, and i milk once a day after two weeks. after i wean the kids i still milk the doe for about another 5 or months

17. farmgirls

farmgirls New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    I have always milked my FF and they always grow fine. If you think they should grow a bit later in the year, you can dry them off, but usually they grow fine if they are being fed well.