The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to get out my grain grinder and make some wheat bread. I want to start making my own bread. We have wheat berries.

I put the wheat berries through the grinding mill 3 times and it did get the flour finer each time. What do I need to do to get it very fine like store bought flour?

Also, do you use store bought flour and the wheat flour to make bread or do you use just the fresh ground wheat?

I'm making my first loaf with all fresh ground wheat but I can tell it is going to be very heavy. I want to figure out how to do this so it is closer to store bought bread and not use any store bought flour.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I can't comment on wheat from wheat grinder.....

but, I've been making bread for years - anything from yeast bread to sourdough. I use a mix of white and whole wheat. I believe I tried 100% whole wheat sourdough once, but it was SOO heavy, but I did try to do it in the tropics, and sourdough is finicky about the weather being too hot (goes sour too quickly). I also find with a higher whole wheat percentage vs white, you have to really let the dough rest right after you add water so the wheat can really soak up the moisture and I find too the dough will need more working to get the gluten going properly.

I hope that makes sense.....

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I have a hand crank grinder and I can adjust how fine the grinding is and I can get it pretty close to store bought but not perfect. I usually still add store bought White flour so I have a lighter loaf. I have picky kids.

Some tricks that might help:
Sifting to separate the germ and bran
Make an egg bread
Use yeast and Baking soda for more air
Vital wheat Gluten
Ascorbic Acid
Some type of fats - butter, milk, etc

·
Super Moderator
59,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I do have yeast in the bread along with milk and butter. There sure is a lot with grinding your own grain and making things with the flour.

I did find on another site to soak the wheat flour overnight in water and then adjust the liquid part of the bread recipe. Apparently you have to use aged flour for bread and if you don't, soaking it helps. I didn't realize just how much chemicals are used to age the flour quickly in the commercial flours.

We want to eat healthy but it really is a lot of work. It may not be hard but it does take a lot of time.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
for sure takes time. my sourdough bread book says to mix the liquids in with flour mix for a bit , then leave it to rest for an hour, then go back and check the consistency.

if you want to take it a step further, you can always soap grains until they're slightly sprouted, dehydrate, THEN mill to make flour - it's to mimic back in the day when wheat farmers had to leave their sheaves out in the field to dry for a while before processing b/c everything was done by hand or with an animal. I have no clue what it does, but I know it ferments the grain a little, which makes it easier for us humans to digest and sprouting releases a lot more nutrients.

LOTS of work, but i'm hoping to get there one day!

·
Registered
31,009 Posts
we've been making bread for lot of years....100% whole wheat is heavy. We also add white flour to our to help give it a lift...we have many different recipes we use..from plain sandwhich bred, burger buns to sour dough...
We have not had the pleasure however of grinding our own wheat.. One day I hope we can. In the mean time we like to buy montana wheat company's flour.We use whole WHITE wheat which is a lighter grain.. It is great for breads and deserts...
here is a bread dough enhancer I have not tried yet but need to...
4 cups powder milk
3/4 cup Lecithin granules
3 heaping Tablespoons Vit C powder
2 T ginger
3 T cornstarch
Blend until smooth
store in air tight container..add 2-3 tsp. in flour portion per batch

I had to look the Lecithin gradules up lol...I found this sight who sells it Non GMO whih is a bonus : )
http://www.nowfoods.com/Lecithin-Granules-Non-GMO-1lb.htm

·
Super Moderator
59,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I will have to try that.

I would love to get away from using store bought flour. If I can't, I can't but I'm going to try.

The bread did turn out extremely heavy but delicious. We won't keep it but we had a couple slices.

I would love to figure out how to grind the flour so it is very fine. We did get it down close but not quite there.

I did grind enough to try soaking some flour in water. So I think I will try that next. I do also have some gluten somewhere so maybe I will try adding some too.

The thing that gets me is that all flour is from wheat (except the specialty stuff) so what exactly do the commercial mills do to make flour that way? :scratch:

But you eat this stuff and it is so different than store bought. Just tastes like real food.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
not sure...is there a setting on your grinder to mill the wheat berries to get just the bran off, and THEN mill for flour?

·
Super Moderator
59,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it just grinds the grain into flour. You have your choice of how fine or course it is but that is it.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
hmm.....manufacturers probably have a machine or setting where they can take the bran off then just have white kernels (like how rice is white), THEN grind it into white flour.

I hope you can figure it out! I want to mill my own flour one day.....

·
Registered
31,009 Posts
a great way to use dried bread ( cause whole wheat doesnt keep well lol) We make baked french toast...its wonderful...
break the bread into small chunks...
in a large bowl mix enough egg and and milk to soak the bread but not too wet..add cinnamon to the egg and milk mixture
mix your bread chunks until well coated and pour all into a cake pan sprayed well with Pam..
Top with cubed butter
in a small bowl mix cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle over the top of the french toast...
bake at 350 until cooked through ( aprox 35-45 minutes)

You can make everything head the night before and just do the topings in the AM and pop in oven..: )

Serve as is or drizzle syrup over each piece as served...
I will sometimes save heals and stale pieces in a baggie to make this in the week end : )

·
Registered
31,009 Posts
it is very good...I dont measure anything so adjusting to taste is needed lol..but its like having desert for breakfast :p

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
savoury bread pudding. it's heavenly with steak or roast or something. now i'm hungry....

·
Super Moderator
59,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SUCCESS! :cool:

Believe it or not, soaking the flour overnight did it. It said to soak for 24 hours but it wasn't a full 24 hours when I put the flour in the bread machine. I used enough water so that it was basically dough. I made sure all the four was wet and it ended being kind of like dry dough. I put it in the bread machine and added the rest of the ingredients with significantly less milk and it worked out.

The bread was light and we can use it for sandwiches. It isn't super soft like store bought sandwich bread but it is light and soft. I'm so excited. I can't believe that that would work but it did.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
wooo!!!!!

if you want a softer bread, you can add things like milk, eggs or oil (or a combination of all) instead of extra water in your recipe. they give a softer crumb (i.e. inside of the bread), and crust doesn't come out as crispy.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Do you have a grist mill or stone mill nearby? They are very few and far between now but if you could find one that still works they could grind your wheat berries for you even finer. There are still a few around here but they are few and far between. I have knowledge of two one is an hour and a half from me the other 3 hrs from me, so it wouldn't be feasible for me to do but just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
59,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, we don't. I really wanted to just grind enough for what I'm making. I don't know if I put them through my mill more times that it would help or if I got something like a Vitamix and ground it in there.

But for making bread, soaking the flour overnight is fine. I also found out that flour needs to be aged for bread so you can let it sit for 2 weeks too. Soaking the wheat speeds up the aging process so you don't have to wait the 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts