Wheezing cough

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sundari, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    My 18 month old Nigerian Dwarf has developed a kind of wheezing cough. It's not consistent -- sometimes I can go days without hearing her do it. I've noticed it happens sometimes when she's eating hay (she eats really fast), and at those times it almost sounds like she's choking on a little bit of hay and trying to clear her throat. Other times I can hear her do it in the early morning when I'm still in bed (so I don't know if she's eating or not when this happens). She seems completely healthy other than this.

Does anyone have an idea what it might be? I have a wonderful goat vet, so I can take her in if need be. Many thanks.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is she showing any other sign of a possible respiratory infection such as a runny nose or eyes?

She could be sensitive to hay dust and that could be the reason for the cough, if you can get her to stay still long enough, put your ear to her chest and listen for any "junky" sounds in her lungs as she breathes. If she sounds rattly at all I would see if your vet reccommends anything other than PenG or LA200