The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Courtney @ Fox Hollow
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 1/2 month old Pygmy/Alpine (Eli) and just today we have noticed him wheezing and not being as mobile or alert as he usually is. His stall mate and our only other goat is a 5 month old Alpine (Henry). Eli gets pushed around by Henry the Alpine quite a bit so I am not ruling out injury. It has also been a particularly wet June for us here in Western Massachusetts. I have kept the stall dry and clean with fresh straw. I am very new to goats but spend a lot of time with these guys. (I am training the Alpine to drive and it's going well!)
We were not supposed to get a Pygmy but he is so little and cute that you can't help but love him. I really hope he is OK. Any insight on this wheezing is graciously welcomed and very appreciated! I follow these forums often an try to learn as much as possible.
Help me with my Eli guy!
Courtney

Attachments

·
Registered
31,433 Posts
lets get a temp on him first...it could be dusty hay or congestion or the start of pueumonia...Ill check back in to see how his temp is...

·
558 Posts
How is your little guy doing?

·
Courtney @ Fox Hollow
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I have a terrible update: we lost Eli Friday morning....my apologies for not responding to the posts. By the time
we collected all the information from our vet and very helpful neighbors and the treatment we saw fit he was gone. Turns our it was worms that got the best of him.
I truly believe this little guy was not totally healthy when we got him and needed a heavier de-wormer right off the bat.
I now in search of new company for my existing 5 month old Alpine. He is very lonely and cried painfully for the first whole day. We have had him in the yard with us as we work and he sticks around wonderfully. If anyone has and leads on any goats that could join our Henry in Western Massachusetts please let me know. He is not disbudded. I am open to all options as long as they would be comparable in size as I believe the Pygmy suffered from not being able to even naturally compete with the Alpine.
Thank you,
Sad day on Fox Hollow Farm

·
Registered
31,433 Posts
Im sorry for your loss:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts