Wheezy, Drippy, Lactating Lamancha doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ananda, May 1, 2016.

1. Ananda

Ananda New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Hi there!
    About 3 weeks ago I was given a beautiful, but severely neglected Lamancha doe and her two one month old kids. The doe and doeling were both really malnourished, with prominent bony hips and ribs and the doe was hardly nursing them. The mama goat had a terribly weepy eye, a runny nose, and a puss filled ear that exuded a thick white puss when you massaged the area(all on her right side). I initially didn't notice the ear bit, assumed it was pink eye and treated with Terramycin and warm saline rinses to the eye. After a week I noticed the ear pus while giving her a good scratch around the horns and felt a small lump just south of her poor little ear hole. At this point she also had some coughing, so I called a local vet, whose receptionist suggested it might be heading in the direction of pneumonia and if her temp was over 102 to get some antibiotics at the feed store. The goat was at 104! The woman at the feed store suggested oxytetracycline(the type you add to their water) but when I got home it said rather explicitly not to give it to nursing or lactating animals, so I did some online research that said sub-q penicillin was the way to go. So I got the penicillin and needles, got a rough weight of the goat which was 60lbs and gave 3ccs a day split between 2 sub-q injections per day under the skin in the neck region, alternating sides of the neck. She cleared up by the 3rd day and seemed pus free by day 5 but the lump under her ear remained so we did a full 7 day dose and the lump was barely there by day 7 and there was no snot, the yellow and green eye discharge had completely stopped and her ears produced no more abnormal stuff, just regular ear wax. The last day of penicillin was about a week ago and this morning BOTH eyes have yellow discharge and her cough seems worse than before! And now the buckling has a little cough too! What do I do?!? I don't know of a vet who will come out to where I live and I don't have a livestock trailer to take them the two hour drive to the nearest vet. My local feed store has a huge selection and is only an hour away, should I get LA 200 or oxytetracycline? Can I give those to the kids too?
    Also I realized after googling pic of Lamancha goats that their stomachs all seem bloated/ distended. Is it possible lung worms are doing all this? Can I use an herbal dewormer? What's the best store bought chemically one? What's the best herbal mixture?

2. deerbunnyfarm

deerbunnyfarm New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    Have you treated for cocci?

I would have a vet run a fecal so you know what wormer to use, make sure it includes cocci. Take her temp again before starting on more antibiotics.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Tylan 200 would be the OTC drug of choice for pneumonia. I would also treat all 3 for coccidia.

4. Ananda

Ananda New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    I haven't treated for cocci - I thought diarrhea was the main symptom of cocci? Could it cause respiratory issues as well? Just checked temps - moms at 104.9!!! Buckling is 104.4 and doeling is at 103.7! Can I give kids between 6 and 8 weeks LA 200 or oxytetrcycline? If I do the water oxytetracycline how do I ensure everyone gets the right dose?

5. Ananda

Ananda New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Will sulmet work for cocci? How to ensure doses if I just add it to water? Should I drench? Doses for 2 kids ~7 weeks? Tylan 200 safe for kids? Looks like sub q?
    :( Sorry about the rapid fire questions, worried for these poor sweethearts, and wanting to kick the *** of the previous owner who let them get so sick and bony in the first place :(

6. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    You can use Sulmet for coccidia. I would give to each individually for five days. Sulmet is 1cc per 5 pounds on day one, then 1 cc per 10 pounds for four days. I would also get some vitamins and minerals into the mom. The feed store should have B complex (injectable) and loose goat minerals (to put out free choice).

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The stuff you put in water isn't going to work. LA200 is not ideal for pneumonia. You really need the Tylan 200.

8. lilaalil

lilaalil Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    I wish I could help, but I don't know much about treating sick goats. I just wanted to say, if you think a vet would be helpful, goats can usually very easily ride in the backseat of a car, and even more easily in the back of a station wagon or SUV. Just put down a tarp with some old towels over it, in case anyone pees. I've transported goats over a dozen times like this, and only ever had one pee in the car. Usually they just lie down soon after the car starts moving.

Be sure to give them probiotics regularly, during this difficult time.

9. Ananda

Ananda New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Okay I'm on my way to the feed store right now, I'm getting sulmet, Tylan 200 and probiotics. I already have loose minerals out for them and mixed some into her feed for the first week I had her to make sure she got some in her ASAP. Any suggestions for needle sizes for kids? Anything else I can do for them? I have them all eating dairy goat food, free choice hay and all the blackberries they could ever hope for and they LOVE eating the blackberry canes.

10. Ananda

Ananda New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Okay got Tylan 200, 20 g needles, sulmet, dewormer, and powdered probiotics!

11. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I'd check to see if you can give a sulfa drug with Tylan. Most antibiotics cannot be given at the same time.

12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Give the sulmet course first, then the de wormer. Get the cocci under control. How do the lower eye lids look? They should be a nice pink. Pull out the lower lid.

Give the sulmet orally. Don't put it in the water. (Gently) Squirt it in the back of the mouth. The poor doe only weighs 60#? She sure is better off with you!

13. Ananda

Ananda New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Their temps are down to normal! They have no runny eyes or noses, and there's far less coughing going on! I'm on day 3 of the Tylan 200 and boy does that stuff seem painful! The kids kick and scream and flail around after the shot and even mama screams and horned me in the chest. I kinda guessed on needle size and used 18g for mama and 20g for the kids, based on penicillin needle suggestion, most of the online resources I found said to do sub q, one said intramuscular, but I went with sub q because I have more experience with it. Any suggestions? Can I go smaller with needle size? The feed store said do the 5 days of Tylan, followed by a few days of probiotics and then treat for cocci because I KNOW they have pneumonia but they're not showing signs of a cocci problem. I did give them a "rumatel" based dewormer on the same day I started the Tylan though, because I couldn't find any info that said that it was a problem to do those two together. They really needed the deworm I think, because they shat up a storm. Every step they took came with a poop, they all pooped on me while I took their temp, it was obscene. I assume that means they had worms. I also think the Tylan helped with mamas hooves. When she came to me, she had "elf shoes" with a bit of foot rot, I don't think she had ever had a dry shelter from the constant rain we get out here, and based on her teeth she's less than a year, so I don't think she ever had her hooves trimmed in her life either. She still acts like I'm trying to steal her toes when I trim them, which I've been doing in small increments every few days to get them back to where they should be.
    Also the eyelids are a healthy pink, I found an online chart to compare to, I'm most concerned about how bony their hips are, how swollen their bellies look and the high temps and coughing that are going away.

14. Ananda

Ananda New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Pic of bony hip

Attached Files:

15. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    what a blessing they ended up with you!..yes tylan 200 should be given sub Q and for at least 5 days..and yes..it does sting..but not as much as LA 200 : ) Make sure the ear infection has cleared up well....it will take time to get wieght on her...just keep doing what you are doing and she will get there, YOu can test for lung worms at home...gather fresh poop and wrap in a layer of gauze..twist tight, then float in room temp water over night...worms and larve will float if there is a problem....I would also feed them fresh garlic daily to boost their immune system... a plus...She looks to have a pretty little udder

ps: do a good check for lice an all three

16. lilaalil

lilaalil Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Glad that are doing better! I was just about to suggest following up with garlic too, when the course of antibiotics is over. You can blend it with water and/or a little apple cider vinegar and drench them if they won't eat the whole cloves.

Would love to see more photos of them!

17. Ananda

Ananda New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    I'll definitely try the lungworms test tonight, that's such a wonderful piece of info! Thank you! I've tried feeding garlic a few times, but it always ends up being spat back in my general direction. I'll try the drenching method, though they such be so sick of me sticking things in their mouths and necks and warping their eyes and cleaning ears and bag balming udders. How do I check for lice? Can I use my dog's flea comb? What do I do if they have lice?

18. Ananda

Ananda New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Pic of mama - "Gaia Maple Mother of Earth"

Attached Files:

19. Ananda

Ananda New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Pic of baby goat butts

Attached Files:

20. Ananda

Ananda New Member