When a Bear Attacks

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by OhCee, Jul 28, 2010.

1. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Hey guys! It's been a while since I posted- mostly because I've been so busy at home here on the ranch.

The reason I'm posting is to tell you all about the bear attack we had around Midnight Tuesday morning. It was an approximately 400 lb. black bear. He came into our back yard, right by my bedroom window. The puppy DID his job! He alerted and I stupidly ignored him.

The bear got Stachie, my buckling. When he screamed I looked out my window. The bear let go of Stach and backed up. I ran out, stood on my stoop in the backyard and screamed and waved my arms and tried to look as aggressive as humanly possible. The bear left after turning and making sure I was serious about him leaving. He had superficial wounds on both rear legs (thank god nothing more). Bite mark on his left side and a jagged/torn cut down the right rear leg.
    Pictures at the bottom *WARNING* They are a little graphic *WARNING*

I called wildlife and game. The trapper who deals specifically with livestock cases came out. He was very knowledgeable and kind. He set up the trap for us and I took pics of the trap for you all to see. I know that in years past the government hasn't been very responsive to calls about wildlife attacks on livestock- but maybe this is a sign that they've gotten better! (I hope so!)

Anywho- in summary: Dierks (my 2 month old Kangal/Pyr mix pup) was the best thing I ever bought, and the government may be taking bear and other predator issues more seriously :)

Picture time!

The trap:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The bait bag has dog kibble and sardines. It sits on a bucket of honey, and there are marshmellows in there too!

Graphic wound pics to follow (not really that bad- but I wouldn't want my kid to see them, if ya know what I mean)
    Before shave:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After being cleaned up and shaved, pre-superglue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WOW....Its odd that the bear would have gone after Stachie, this time of year theres plenty of other food available. I hope he recovers quickly and I would treat him as though it were dog bites, bears have similar teeth with all the ickies stuck in them that could cause infection. He's UTD with his CD/T right?

That pup sure did his job, good thing too otherwise it could have been worse :hug:

Traps like that are set around here mainly to relocate bears that prove to be nuisances in residential areas...theres a mama and 3 cubs that den about 2 miles from me, I've not seen her this close but have seen her and her babies about a mile from here...game commission here doesn't react very fast when it comes to livestock so it's good that they got that trap set up ASAP, I'm sure they left you instructions as far as what to do when he's caught, don't get too close and don't let your dog around it either, those traps are tough but you really don't want to risk it with a PO'd bear. :wink:

3. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Good job, Dierks! :clap: Stachie is a very lucky bucky, as are you lady. Had your marauder been a brown bear, things might have ended much differently. I hope they catch your bear. If relocated, be forewarned chances are he'll be back. Stay safe and give that good lil LGD a much deserved bone.

Deb Mc

4. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Yep! Great puppy!

Yes, Stach is all up to date on everything- not even limping at all today! He's acting totally normal :) With the exception that he now loves the puppy! All in all, we got off super duper easy this time!

Oh, and the trapper doesn't release them, because that just moves the problem to someone else and then the bear is harder to get into a trap :) I love Montana.

5. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Wow. Scary! I hope ya trap it!

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I'm glad they came to trap it! I had a similar issue and the game commission here laughed at me. Apparently in the great state of PA, I can not fire on a bear unless it's in season or harming a human. Completely ridiculous. If the bear is costing me money by killing livestock and the GC is too lazy to trap it, then what? SSS? @@ Lovely.

Anyways, I'm glad they came for your bear!!!! Mine was shot dead in bear season this past year :D

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow! good dog you got there. ;)

MY Birch chased off a couple last year. i luv my dog. :love:

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...SSS!! I'm with you Shell

9. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    WOW! What a great puppy you have there! Thank goodness your buckling was not killed. Poor boy! I bet he was glad to see you coming!

Looks like a strong cage!

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    How scary!!!!!!!!! :shocked: Thank goodness the bear left when it saw you! Poor little buckling must have been terrified... I bet your puppy was just as terrified too! EEEEEEKKK!!!! :help:

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    OMG how scary! I am sorry your little man got hurt, looks like he will be sore for a while, poor baby :( I am glad that they set up a trap, and I hope he is caught soon!

12. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Good puppy! You are lucky, those wounds don't look too bad.

I tell you what, if a bear was attacking my livestock, you can bet I would shoot it. I don't care about the regulations and rules! All I need to say is that the bear was making ME feel like I was in danger!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh my... :shocked: glad everyone is OK.... :hug:

and what a great dog, hope he gets a good steak dinner for a reward.... and lots of hugs :wink: :greengrin: :laugh:

14. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Well, I saw the bear cross my road at 19:30 this evening. He has pooped 3 inches from my fence of my doe pen- right next to the barn. He's been bedding down in my front pasture, and he's been casing out the place all damn day. He's been doing circles around the property this evening. Hopefully he finds the trap, or he comes up to the house so we can end this.

15. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    He's on our hill, huffing and puffing and coming down toward the barn slowly. We're ready tonight.

16. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Okay, this bear is just taunting me now. He was still around last night, but he's not coming down to the trap. Thinking we may need a relocation to where he's been hanging out the most...

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The bear must know ...and have been trapped before :shrug:

Or... the trap is so foreign to the bear... that he is unsure to approach it... :wink:

18. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    If nothing else, maybe the trap will serve as a deterrent? Seriously, I'd change the bait. Bacon, baby carrots and real butter. Nothing bears love more than fat and fructose.

Deb Mc

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Baiting traps around here, I've heard of used cooking oil from restaurant fryers, sardines, cat food, over ripe fruit etc... stay safe and watch your back, he's likely in the area waiting for the right opportunity.