The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a few does that lead well, but I got them that way. 1 will lead for a little then stops and braces herself. There's no moving her. Another will drop to her knees when I pull. My wether has a bad tendancy to jump on me if I have food and wont give it to him. And just recently got our first kids ranging from 2 months to 6 months. None will lead and will run away from me every chance they get.

Thought on when and how to leash train and at the same time get rid of bad habits? Thx

·
Registered
779 Posts
My goat stops and braces too every once in awhile. I don't let her get away with it. Keep enough pressure on it so she has to step forward.. Then release the pressure.. Can you bribe them with treats maybe? As for training.. I can't help you.. Izzy was already almost two when I started.. Maybe try halters instead of collars.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I was just out with my four-month-old today on a dog leash, third time ever, and me with a tub of sweet grain--went great. The first time, in the goat run and with no grain, she'd stop and brace. The second time in the goat run, with grain, she got the notion that following and being rewarded every few yards was a good deal for her, and came fairly readily. Today, we went outside the goat area into the people yard (it used to scare her) and for longer distances without rewards than before, and she toddled along willingly on a pretty slack leash. Next step, training her not to jump up on me, before she gets too heavy. Her mother, who's eight years old and has seen a lot of humans (and has a very knowing look in her eye) was not so keen to come for grain, but stopped and braced at every delicious green thing, and I had to lift her (oof!) over the threshhold back into the barn. Conclusions drawn: get 'em young, pay in coin they take, make 'em work harder for their reward, each session.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts