The Goat Spot Forum banner

When and how to trim hooves

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  GoofyGoat 
#1 ·
I have 4 Nigerian dwarf goats, 1 weather and 3 does,I know it's about time for them to get thier hoofs trimmed but I can't find any advice on how far or anything like that or what the proper tool is ,I have seen some shears that look like garden shears but I don't know if that is the right tool,and I know it's about every 4-8 weeks is what I have read,I just csnt find reliable information on how to trim thier hooves, if it helps I added pictures,but I dont know that they will be of good quality.i have never trimmed hooves before, just dogs cats and bunny's I know they probably are kinda over grown and I would love to know how to trim thier feet properly any help or suggestions would be appreciated
Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Dog breed Thumb
Jaw Working animal Finger Eyelash Terrestrial animal
Hand Reptile Finger Organism Scaled reptile
Hand Dog Dog breed Liver Finger

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep, looks like it's about time for a trim, but they really aren't too bad. A gardening shear may work depending on how strong they are. What you'll want to do is trim that part of the hoof wall that is growing over the pad and then trim the sole and heel so it's all level. Stop when you see pink. That's where the blood vessels are. Here's a good diagram:
Organism Font Auto part Drawing Line art

It's good to have some blood stop powder on hand in case you go too far. I like to use wonder dust. As far as how often it will need to be done, that will depend on how wet your climate is, what kind of terrain your goats walk on, and individual genetics. I used to trim my goats' hooves monthly, but I found that my goats can go as long as every two months.

#4 ·
I use a semi-serrated pocket knife, a pair of Corona garden snips and a small hand-size rasp. The corona shears are like the middle pair in Mellonfriend's post.
I don't use a utility knife because I have had them slip - I have more control with a pocket knife (must be sharp). The rasps come from Jeffers. I only trim quarterly except for one doe who has a damaged hoof and grows a spur between her toes. It's not hard to do and is made easier during wet weather. I also use Farnam's Wonder Dust for a bleed.

#5 ·
Here's what I use: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-trimmer-with-adjustable-tension?cm_vc=-10005

There are tons of great hoof trimming videos on YouTube - I found those to be very helpful when first starting out with goats.

Yep, I agree, your goaties are due for a pedicure.

I was a little scared of trimming hooves for the first time (afraid I was going to hurt them), but I soon found out that it's not hard at all and I actually think it's kinda fun now. 😄

How often to trim hooves really depends on the goat and where they live. My does have access to lots of concert so their hooves only need every two months. My boys on the other hand, do not have access to any concert and their hooves NEED trimmed once a month. Just keep an eye on their hooves to figure out how often you'll need to trim them, I would make sure to check them every month.

#6 ·
It does sound scary at first, but it really isn’t to bad. This is the one I’m currently using https://www.amazon.com/Zenport-QZ14...C,B094JWZM2H,B01GOS052O,B07SZKV8ZR,B07YS79SKJ It’s on the heavy duty side, but I love it! If it will make you feel better you could also get blood stop powder (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ideal-animal-health-blood-stop-powder?cm_vc=-10005) just in case you accidentally cut a little short. (Though you probably won’t need it)

@MellonFriend put up a great trim sheet to go by!

#7 ·
#12 ·
I'm nervous about the heel and I only did the one hoof on the weather so far but I don't wanna trim all 4 goats and realize I did it completely wrong,and have to go and hold them still a second time,the heel if the hoof seems a little raised up compared to the sole,is that sopost to be level with the sole and do I trim the sole much? It looks better to me but it is my first time and the goats first time getting trimmed ,dose that point at the toe need to come down some ? I really wanna make sure I get this done right for them
Human body Jaw Gesture Finger Wood

Hand Wood Finger Nail Thumb

#14 ·
I agree with Dandy. From the side I think it looks like you could probably take a bit more off the heel. I know it seems scary, but as long as you take a little off at a time, they aren't going to just suddenly start gushing blood. 😉 Something I don't think anyone mentioned is some people find using a mini rasp helpful to get their hooves level at the end. I have a small metal file from Lowe's that works really nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.