The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So my boer lives with his twin sister they’re about 10 weeks old. Today for the first time I saw him mount his sister. We plan to get him banded but an experienced goat owner said to band 3-4 months old. Currently he’s in a separate pen then his sister but they’re both pretty upset. So what time are the boer bucks fertile? One website I saw said 5 months old but another said at 7 weeks. Thanks!

·
Registered
528 Posts
If your worried and plan to anyways just go ahead and band him. One of our local breeders bands at 10-12 week's. There are others the prefer 8 so they can make sure it's detached and healed to be sold at 12 week's. My understanding is you can band earlier especially on a boy with big ones, but I was told there is some risk to damaging their urinary track if done too early.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
At 3 months old wean and remove from the does. If extending wean at 2.5 months old.
I band at 3-4 months old.

I give CD&T at 2 months old, then 21 to 28 days later. So they are ready for banding then.
I also give banamine for pain and swelling.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't know about other breeds, but it's said that Boers become potent at 5 months, but you also need to take into account that not all goats are going to reach adolescence at the same times, some earlier, some later. To be safe, Boer breeders have their kids weened typically at 3 months. I've seen a few later and some earlier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts