When can I start milking?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by raftert, Aug 1, 2009.

1. raftert

raftert Guest

Apr 14, 2009
    I have tried searching for this but have had no luck. What I'm wondering is how soon after freshening would you normally start milking? My doe is a Pygmy (I think) FF with twins.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you want to wait a week to drink any milk because it may have collostrum in it. I prefer to wait till the kids are 4 weeks before separating at night (then milk in the morning). But you can milk at any time without separating if she has enough milk

3. raftert

raftert Guest

Apr 14, 2009
    How will I know if she has enough milk? I mean, I will be able to tell if she has tons of it, but I don't want to short the kid's supply...

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if there is milk in her udder then they kids done need it - by the time they are over a couple days old the kids are nursing her dry constantly (this is normal and to be expected). IF there is milk available (which I doubt for long) then you can take it without harming the kids

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Pygmies will give a surprising amount of milk, very sweet too :wink: I start separating at night around 3 weeks, then get a morning milking, but I don't take it all as the kids will need breakfast...usually only about 1 - 1 1/2 cups, depending on how full she is. The more milk that is "taken" wether by you or the kids the more she will make.

6. raftert

raftert Guest

Apr 14, 2009
    So when you get the most milk will be after weaning the kids then, right? Does around 8 weeks sound right for weaning, if they are eating hay well?

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep, you are correct there....but you can milk her earlier if you want the milk and it won't affect the kids at all...just separate them from mom at night and milk in the morning.

Oh and if you plan on keeping the kids, you will have to separate them from mom totally otherwise they will continue to nurse from her til she either kicks them off or she dries up....and some will nurse a long time. My elder doe actually still let her 3 year old daughter nurse even after she delivered babies herself :greengrin: