When Can I Wean?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by tracyqh, Mar 9, 2011.

1. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    My doe had triplets on Jan. 28th. They are thriving and eatting grain and hay. 2 are bucklings and one doeling. I'm keeping the doeling and selling the others. The dam is doing a great job of caring for all 3, but they are pulling her down pretty bad. She has an appetite like a bear and basically has full feed and hay, but is still thin. I think they only way she will pick back up is to pull the kids. When can I do that and can I band the bucklings now, give them a week or so and pull them? I don't want to stress them out too much by banding and weaning at the same time. Thanks in advance!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I usually band between 6-7 weeks, boys are with mom til 8 weeks then go to new home...I've not had any issues reported back to me of any problems with banding at 6 weeks. Banding now then giving them a week to adjust to that before separating from mom wouldn't be as stressful as banding and weaning at the same time.

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Also, How do you wean?

Ive seen so many different things. Some people seperate a week before they go to a new home. Others just give the babies to the new homes and not seperate

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I was wondering the best method to wean as well. I have twins born in early Jan, and we're going to sell the buckling. He's my baby, and I dont' want him to go, but we decided to get mama built up and breed again for a late fall kidding.

My friend who breeds boers just pulls hers away from mama when the people come to get them and she's never had an issue. She just makes sure they have some grain the kids are used too and hay, so they can be mixed with whatever the new owners will give instead of instant changes, and also make sure they have a buddy waiting on them at the new home, or make sure they are buying a buddy so it's not alone.

5. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Thats what I have always done, just give them to the new owners, and most of the time it has been "ok" the babies would cry a few days and then be happy and playful