WHEN CAN KID GO INTO GENERAL HOUSING?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by peggy, Feb 6, 2011.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    My doe just had her baby 9 days ago. I have been keeping them in the kidding pen to let mom heal and baby to get strong. I only have a single room in the barn with 2 older doelings. Mom and baby are seperated by a see-through panel and I tried to let them all together but the older doelings were butting baby if they got the chance. So does anyone have any thoughts on what to do. How can I get them all to be safe with baby when I only have the on room. When do you guys put your kids with the older does????

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do it at 3 to 4 days...maybe more... depending on ...if the kids are weak or bonding is slow.....after the bonding is done......if any of the older kids pick on a baby....I have a whip and whip the beater.....if you can't trust the tean goat... then.... lock her up and let mom and baby in with the population.... I know ...you can't watch them 24/7....Also another Idea is ...make an area ...where the baby can get into and the older kid(s) can't.... so the baby has a safe zone.... to escape.. :wink:

3. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks Pam. I have been sitting in the barn and supervising the goats when I let baby and mom out and each day gets a little better. I have a bench in the barn that the goats like to jump on and it has a safe crawl space underneath so that could be good for baby. Baby is getting the idea about the older goats and when one looks at her like she is going to butt her then she runs the other way. Mom is a new mom and although they are bonded she doesn't seem to figure out to protect baby. But that will come. I hope. I just worry that the older goats will butt her up against a wall and hurt her. You know us new goat mommies......

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... :thumb:
    yep... I am a goat mommy too...and we do worry about them... some do get slammed....and can get hit hard.... and limp ....then you think ...oh no.....hope it isn't a broken leg...... so... I check out the baby.... hold and cuddle it ...then... let it back down on the ground ...with no more limp...they are suckers for attention... :laugh: the kids are pretty tough and can take alot.... It still doesn't ease things ...knowing they are at risk of getting hurt....... :hug: :wink:
    Babies learn pretty quickly ..... if it isn't momma....keep your distance.... some moms..... are very protective and stay around them...as others... that are lower on the totem pole.... generally stand back....glad you are watching and things are not as bad... :hi5: the teen goats.... don't understand the baby thing...some just try to be the boss over them .....and not realize ....they are just wee ones..... with time ....as they get older ....and all the goats gets use to them...the thrill of the new wears off.... and it will be the occasional bump.... :wink:

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I understand your concern. I hope the little one gets adjusted soon and learns who are the meanies and who she is safe around. I have a doe who is getting ready to kid that is a great mama, but won't stand up against the bossy goats. Her buckling last summer learned who he could be around and who to stay away from after getting bumped around a bit. It's heartbreaking, but they gotta find their place in the herd.
    I'd think at 9 days she'd be ready to take on the big goats.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I normally leave kids and moms in their stalls together the first few weeks...they go out with the herd when the weather isn't yucky but even then, they run races through the barn. By the time they're 2 weeks old though they are definately quick enough to take off if a big meanie is threatening them. Kids and moms are penned at night together the first 3 weeks then kids are separated but secure in a stall while mom is with the rest...they're together again, with the herd from about 4 weeks til they leave.

7. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks for your input liz. I went out 3 times today and out all the goats together so they could go outside and enjoy the sunshine for a change. I supervised but I agree that I will keep mom and baby penned up at night. I wil only let them out when I can supervise for another week or so just to be sure. Baby is already figuring out that she has to avoid the mean girls.

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I have and ADULT goat that still does this!