When can you tell if they are bred?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I have 5 does who may be bred. All are due between about mid March to late March. They all look a little larger to me, but am I just ''hopeing'' they are bred or can you tell this early? How do you tell?
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If they aren't jumpy and will allow you to feel their bellies for movement you should be able to feel the kids flutter in front of their udders. Also, look under their tails, theres quite a few "pooch" pics on here that should let you know what to look for if they are bred.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    usually when they are 3 months along they start to "show" their pregnancy.

You sometimes can feel kids moving at this time though on some goats it takes till they are 4 months along to even feel kids.

Another way is the "pooch test" this is by looking at your does behind you can tell by the enlongation of her vulva and the placement of her anis if she is bred or not.

I usually can tell on my does but I am not as good at judging others - I am usually 50/50 but have a higher rate once they reach that 3 month mark.

Not going back into heat is a good sign to. some goats tend to continue to cycle into February. So if you haven't seen them in heat since breeding or being with the buck you more then likey have some bred does.
  4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

three months is about when i can see and feel babies. Watch for udder developement and softening tail heads.
  5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If you could post pictures of their butt, I will be able to tell you.
  6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    There is also a place called biotrack.

If you can get redtop blood tubes from your local vet, you can draw blood and send it into them and it is 7.50 a piece to run it for pregnancy. You can pay at the time that you send the blood, or you can be billed at the end of the month. They will email you the test results. I have had alot of contact with them, as I am doing 3 of mine and 1 of a friends.

They only have to be I think 25 days gestation for the test. There is a link to their website on mine if you want to check it out!

Just a thought~