When do bucks lose fertility?

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by NDinKY, Jan 27, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    When do bucks start to lose fertility? What is the oldest buck you would buy?

Just trying to plan ahead for the future. A local breeder has really nice goats and is always selling bucks in the fall to bring in new blood. One is older, but if he has a good chance of still performing I’d be interested in adding his genetics.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    NDinKY likes this.

3. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    Normally the bucks legs give out first

NDinKY likes this.
  4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree! Or something else. I would have to look at my old mans papers but he’s either 9 or 10 this February. He’s still going strong. He did have me fooled and I thought he finally lost interest this year but he rudely showed me I was wrong about that!

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    My previous buck appeared to lose fertility at age 9, he was eagerly covering does but they weren't getting pregnant during the first cycle.

I like buying older bucks because I don't have to put all the feed investment into them as young goats

NDinKY likes this.
  6. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the link! For some reason the search function doesn’t work well for me (could be user error).

And lol about the legs giving out first. So a 6.5 or 7 yr old buck should (if cared for properly) have another couple good years in him then.

I’ve got to see what this years crop of babies looks like to figure out whether I keep or sell the bucks I currently have.

toth boer goats and SalteyLove like this.
  7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    For searching, use Google and then type in thegoatspot.net followed by the subject you are looking for. It works WAY better than the forum search function.

GoofyGoat, toth boer goats and NDinKY like this.