The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 yr old ND he has produced 9 kids with only 1 being a doeling is it just a fluke or do u think he throws Bucklings? I currently have 9 does pregnant by him and am so scared they will be all bucks am I crazy? I really hope so I soooo want some doelings.

·
Super Moderator
14,798 Posts
If he was a Boer I would take him lol....bucks mean more money for me :) but yes the boys throw the sex so if you do end up with all boys and you want some girls then I would replace next breeding......have my fingers crossed for some girls for you though ;)

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Here's a trick I've tried, sort of.
Put Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in the does water for 2-3 months before they meet ol' bucky and 1-2 months after. It supposedly changes the pH in the does body which is better(?) for the female side of things.

I, not 100% all every day, tried this and got:
-5yr doe-2 bucks (she ALWAYS had bucklings)
-2yr doe-1 doe/1 buck
-first-timer-1 doeling

We also partly did it with cattle and our heifer(again first timer) had a heifer as well.

So...not sure if it works or not, but it might be worth a shot!

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
If he was a Boer I would take him lol....bucks mean more money for me :) but yes the boys throw the sex so if you do end up with all boys and you want some girls then I would replace next breeding......have my fingers crossed for some girls for you though ;)
You and me, both! I've got one buck that throws a pretty even mix of doelings and bucklings, but the other one tends to throw more doelings. I had 3 does breed back early and ended up with 6 doelings and 1 buck. :sigh:

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
I have a 2 yr old ND he has produced 9 kids with only 1 being a doeling is it just a fluke or do u think he throws Bucklings? I currently have 9 does pregnant by him and am so scared they will be all bucks am I crazy? I really hope so I soooo want some doelings.
Well, try adding some ACV in their water. Supposedly it hedges your bet for doelings. I put it in my does water all summer and they are due to start kidding about January, so I will let you know what happens. As a side note - if I end up with a bunch of doelings, I am NOT going to be a happy camper as I rely on bucklings/whethers to make money, I can't keep all the doelings and I really have a very hard time deciding which ones to keep or sell.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow you guys that want Bucklings maybe you should have my buck lol I have yet to get to keep one of my babies born at my farm cause I haven't gotten that doeling yet makes me sad
:( oh and are you guys selling the weathers and bucks for meat ? Just curious? I had great luck selling all my Bucklings though I can't not complain

1 - 16 of 16 Posts