The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching the internet far and wide but ive been getting different answers. I have a doe that will be 6 months in july and ive read that 6 months is a good time to breed but im not so sure....any verification on when to breed?

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
It really varies from breeder to breeder. Most people wait until their doelings are 12 months old, and at LEAST 100lbs. :)

I would not suggest breeding you doe at 6 months old. She is not done growing at that age and it would not be safe for her. When we first had goats and had never bred them before, we bred at 6-7 months and had a disastrous kidding with one. Which was really nice considering it was our first kidding!!

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
I agree with Crossroads it varies from breeder to breeder..most do 1 yr and 100lbs

Me personally I wait until 15-18 months before they meet there MR. Right for the first time..

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Before this year I bred so they would kid around 13 months old, depending on size of course. This year Im trying a different way, breed at 12 months. It just seemed to take a toll on the doelings trying to feed them selfs and kids at the same time. To be honest, looking at my doelings at 7 months old out there, I think 10 would be more ideal with mine and the way they have grown.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I breed to kid at 12-13 months. So that would be 7-8 months, and they are normally 90lbs+ by then.

I feel like breeding them at 15-18 months is really way to long, that would be breeding to kid at 20-23 months, that's how long people wait to breed heifers.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I breed mine when they are 100 lbs, sometimes a little less if they are good and growthy. Most of my doelings are big enough to be bred their first fall. The only ones that might get held over are later born kids.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Last year we bred a doe that was 7 months old and about 90 pounds and she delivered 10 pound twins easily. She raised them well, but we had a hard time keeping weight on her after that.

The 100 pound rule is definitely a good way to go.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a boer cross last year that was bred accidently at about 10 weeks old. She kidded around Christmas. We had to supplement her buckling because I don't think she was giving enough milk. Unfortunately, he died at about 10 weeks old. Now, she has recovered quite nicely. She would probably be ok to breed soon, but I'm going to wait until November to let her grow some more and get on schedule with the other goats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts