When do you cd-t

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Thanatos, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I am curious, when do I give Cleo her cd-t shot? she is about two weeks old. and I can't seem to find the "this is when you do it" info around.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you wont find it because there are varying beliefs. I wait to give the CD/T toxoid till they are 9 weeks old then the booster at 12 weeks (which is when they can leave my place).

Some give the CD antitoxin which I plan to to this year at aprox 3-4 weeks old.

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok I have the cd-t 6 in one(overeating etc.) I think that one is the toxoid so i guess I wait till the kid starts eating real stuff not just chewin on it.

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Oh yeah and I gave mom hers 1 month prior to kidding. and as a singelton Cleo got all the colostrum. We are bottle raisin.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is so true....one example is me....LOL :greengrin: with my boers... I give them CD&T tetnus toxoid.. at 3 months old ... when I wean....like stacey said....it varies .....with each breeder.....as well as yourself ...you can decide ...what works best for you..... :wink:

you did the right thing.... :wink:

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    It's true everyone has a different way of 'raisin' goats...my vet says do shots @ birth, poo poo on that imo...I do them at one month then a booster at two months old..I just started doing the pasturella shot at 1 month too..

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Pastruallea? waht is that , he asked at the risk of ridicule. :scratch:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    never will you be ridiculed here!

Pasterella is a strain of pneumonia that is sometimes called "silent pneumonia" so you vaccinate healthy animals against it. In the Goat Sense 101 there is a topic on this particular subject

9. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Many breeders in our area do not vaccinate for pasturella, and we lost a goat to pasturella last year, now I am cautious of any coughing goat. It is hard to treat and detect, so I am being cautious in vaccinating...personally, i would love to not vaccinate, but i must to keep a healthy herd...

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Did mom get her CDT 2-4 weeks before the baby was born?

If so I was giving my babies a CDT at 2 weeks, the 4 weeks later, but I have decided if mom got her CDT in time, then I will wait until they are 4 weeks old, then 4 weeks after that.

11. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok so far it looks like baby will get hers in about two weeks. Yes mom got hers 4 weeks prior to kidding. and thanks for the infor on the other thing ill have to see if i can find a vac for it. The feed stores in my area don't have much for goats specifically, cows yes goats no. So I have to have them order in most of the goat specific stuff.

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I think the vaccine for pasturella is for cows and horses. We don't have much in the way of goat specific here either.

13. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Thx ill check that on the next feed trip.

14. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    For the vaccine we have, which is called Heptovac Plus, you give the mother a dose 4 - 6 weeks to birthing, and then the kid simply gets its booster shot at about 4 weeks of age, then a booster shot once a year after that.

LW