When do you clip your goats?

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by Sara, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    Like when is the earliest. Right now it's in the 50's/60's. When it warms up to the 70's can I clip them?

Maybe with a hair guard?

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am going to clip mine around April 7th. And I have goat coats for them at night if needed.

3. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    I wait until the end of April/first part of May here - but I don't have any spring shows. I just use a #10 blade. I'm sure a longer blade would mean an earlier clip. Do you have an early show or are you just in a hurry to see what's under all that hair this year? :cool: I love a clipped goatie!

Kristen

4. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    I'm in a hurry to see what's under all the hair ^^;

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have meat goats but I still clip mine in the summer. In late spring or early summer is when I clip mine.

6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i clip my black doe about 3 days before a show & they rest i do about 2 days before. i also clip my bucks in the summer to get all the bucky smell off. i will start to clip some time in may. when i was in maine i would not clip until the middle of june.

7. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    Well could I clip them to about 3 inches of hair? Highs are in the mid 50's and lows are just above freezing.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We usually clip in June since that is about the time when temperatures stop flucuating(sp?) so much between night and day.

9. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    I wouldn't clip them tell the temp stay above 40 to 50 degrees at night. It's not worth the risk of pneumonia just to see what they look like. If you have coats and a barn you could do it sooner or give them a thick bed of straw to sleep in. Shelly

10. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    They have an 8x12 barn, and lots of composting poop with straw on top.

The little stinkers are probably warmer than me most of the time. :lol: