The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor Clar is so sad looking. She is just skin and bones, I am feeding her alfalfa pellets, calf mana, and just a little sweet feed. Plus her minerals. She won't even eat a cup a day.. (she is 6 months old, Boer/kiko).

I wormed with panacur on 7/17..
Had a fecal done on 7/24 and he said the panacur done nothing
7/24 wormed with Cydectin
She started acting better, and more active then came down with bottle jaw.
I wormed with Ivomec plus 1cc per 25 pounds orally on 8/9
Also am giving red cell, and B complex both 6cc per 100 pounds
Her swelling has gone down greatly, her poop is running but not scours.
I just gave her electorlyts (can't spell sorry!)

She is extremely weak, lays down most the day, munches on hay and grass also her feed. She is separated during the night to eat grain, but refuses to be separated during the day so I leave her with her sisters (they aren't mean to her) during the day. She moves around the pen all day, but doesn't walk to much at a time.

What else can I do for her ? I don't want her to suffer, but I don't want to give up on her either. My vet is not a goat vet, and is completely ignorant, so I can't really go to him. ??

Thank you for your help..

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Did the fecal include coccidiosis? If not, do another one and include that. You also need to worm twice to get the eggs that will hatch later - usually about 2 weeks later, I think. What is she getting for hay? Be careful with the high protein feed because too much protein has a tendency to cause diarrhea on their own. If possible, give her some straight grass hay. Grass hay is natures remedy for an upset stomach/digestive tract. Once you get the cocci fecal back, you will know if that is the problem or not.

As far as when I give up, they usually tell me when they've had enough. There is something in their eyes and their attitude that is hard to miss.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fecal did include cocci it was negative.. I plan to worm again in 8 days (ten after worming) then in 10 more days then in 30 days. With Ivomec plus. Her hay is alfalfa mix with orchard and timothy. It was 2nd cutting so not strong alfalfa.

She was fighting me to take the elector's so that made me feel better.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I agree.. Check for cocci .. Also she should not eat feed while she has the runs. It's hard to digest , the alfalfa pellets are fine. With bottle jaw you so want to treat for worms 3 Times 10 days a part then once more in 30 days.. Keep up the red cell until color returns to her lids . B complex is a wonderful support vitamin .

·
Registered
448 Posts
you can give her Dolomite for scours(its also a mineral) mixed with seaweed meal twice a day for 3 days.
We have a product here called Scourban(its a antibiotic liquid) we get from the Vets you might be able to get something similar? works really well at breaking the scour cycle and helps the gut get back to normal and works really fast.You can also try Vit c and B12 tablets crushed rather than needles,also good for the gut,teejae

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
The fecal did include cocci it was negative.. I plan to worm again in 8 days (ten after worming) then in 10 more days then in 30 days. With Ivomec plus. Her hay is alfalfa mix with orchard and timothy. It was 2nd cutting so not strong alfalfa.

She was fighting me to take the elector's so that made me feel better.
You might try happybleats homemade electrolytes. I've not had a reason to use them, but I've read on here that the goats will usually drink them willingly.

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Courtesy of happybleats

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Happybleats, do you think I should try your electrolytes ?

NYgoatmom, what is wasting disease?

teejae, I was going to give her pepto tonight for scours, but they really aren't that bad so I thought pepto would be sufficient ? I won't be able to check with a vet till morning, but like I said he is ignorant and will most likely tell me to shoot her ( my family has dealt with him a lot in the past and that is just how he is, how he was raised).

goat crazy she seemed to like them just not the syringe, which I was glad to see her fight me. Thank you for putting it here :)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
That sounds terrible :( I am sorry you and your doe are going through this. It does sound quite a bit like wasting disease, Johne's. Here is an article if you would like to read more about it- http://www.johnes.org/goats/faqs.html

How much pepto are you giving? I know that it takes quite a bit to slow scours on an large animal.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
If she had a bad worm load, it will take a long time to get her back. I'm sure her stomach is messed up too. I would be giving her B Complex and Probios daily for at least a week.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She only weighs 25 pounds. I wasn't feeding them enough until about a month ago, they where getting 1 cup of sweet feed a piece. I had had them for a month before that. I realized they weren't growing got suggestions on here and added calf mana and alfalfa pellets. They are still only eating 2 cups a piece, I have tried to up it but they won't take any more. They are eating mainly calf mana. (They as in her and her two sisters) She won't even eat a cup now though.

She had scours for 1 day when I wormed with panacur, right now it is in between dog poop and goat poop so it's not really scours. Just not normal. I need to know the dose of pepto.

She is very very pale. I have iron injectable but I can't find a dosage for it ?

Thank you for the link, I am reading it now.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will have to get probios as I forgot them when I went on my spending spree at Tractor supply on Friday, is the powder kind okay ?

The vet said it wasn't horrible that's why I am so confused. But I know once one gets sick it is hard to fight off other things. I hope we can pull her through this.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went down to feed, and she wasn't in the barn.. I found her where I left her this evening )': I feel so bad that she had to suffer.</3 She will be dearly missed. I am so worried about my other girls. Mainly her two sisters that where in with her. I don't think I can afford a necropsy, since its truck payment and insurance week.
They are scarfing down their supper tonight, and as active as all ways. They were all so close I feel for them I know they must miss her, when I went out to find her they ran in front of me to her and just stood their looking. )':

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I'm so sorry. Sometimes they are just too weak to pull through.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could this have something to do with bad hay ?

Thank you every one

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
really cant be Johne's. It takes time for it to coat the intestinal walls and the animal tends to always be eating and eating and eating caues it cant draw the nutrients outta the feed anymore. Thus the wasting part of it. Here is a blurb from an article. Though, testing for it wouldnt hurt.

What are the symptoms of Johne's disease and what causes them? There really are only two clinical signs of Johne's disease: rapid weight loss and diarrhea. In goats, diarrhea is less common than in cattle. The infection occurs in kids in the first months of life, but signs of disease usually do not appear until the animals are adults. Despite continuing to eat well, adult goats become emaciated and weak. Since the signs of Johne's disease are similar to those for several other diseases, laboratory tests are needed to confirm a diagnosis. If a case of Johne's disease occurs, it is very likely that other infected goats (who may still appear healthy) are in the herd.
No one yet understands what causes a clinically normal goat that has been infected by MAP for months or years to suddenly become sick from the infection.We do know that at some point the
MAP that have been lying quiet within cells of the last section of the small intestine (called the ileum) start to replicate and take over more and more of the tissue.The animal's immune system responds to all these organisms with what is called granulomatous inflammation. This inflammation thickens the intestinal wall, preventing it from functioning normally. This, among other factors, means the animal cannot absorb the nutrition it needs and thus begins to lose body condition, milk production drops off, and diarrhea may occur. In effect, an animal with Johne's disease is starving in spite of having a good appetite and eating well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts