When do you register kids?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ETgoatygirl, Apr 15, 2018 at 6:15 PM.

1. ETgoatygirl

ETgoatygirl Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    I usually let the new owners of my registered ND babies fill out the paperwork to register their new goats, but I’ve been noticing that many people don’t, for some reason or another. This year I’m thinking about just registering all of the kids before they leave, and transferring them to the new owners. Thoughts? What’s your preference? I’m just kind of tired of seeing a handful of my goats registered on ADGA. Pros and cons?

capracreek likes this.
  2. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    WE show for 4-H and ADGA. So we always register our doelings early on, then sell them in late summer/early fall once show season is over. Transferring is super easy...

All our bucklings are sold as wethers (so far), so I don't register them at all.

capracreek likes this.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I used to just fill out the paperwork, but now I go ahead and register all the does, and any boys that would be considered buck worthy. Boys that will be wethers just get a scrapie tag. I think it's so much easier to transfer. The only drawback for me is coming up with names for everyone. I always have trouble with that!

capracreek likes this.
  4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I usually give buyers the papers to do. My main reason is a lot of my buyers don’t care about papers so it’s kinda depressing when I hand them
    Over and they say oh I don’t care about that......I seriously see like $24 burning in my brain lol. This year I went ahead and asked people who put a deposit on kids if they want me to register them. So the ones that said yes I sent paper work in and the ones that I’m for sure keeping or am still trying to sell but won’t mind keeping. Now that it’s close for them to being old enough to leave buyers will get a application. I’m not sending them home with nothing for their new owners.
    I also have a good amount of kids that I won’t keep. Not like there is anything wrong with them just I am trying to build my herd to more higher percentage. So if need be if they don’t sell privately I’m sending them to the sale and anything that goes to the sale doesn’t go with papers.
    So pros and with giving papers-
    It looks more professional
    If you have a untrusting buyer they might not want a app but the papers.
    Cons-
    It can be expensive so if you do it keep that in mind with the price of the kids. I almost had a heart attack with mine when I added it up and it was over $400!
    It sucks if you can’t sell the kids for asking price with papers and you already paid for them so can’t say well $X for no papers......well you could but you paid for them still lol
    Really I think it’s a personal choice and maybe what buyers want. If your fine and buyers are fine with applications then do it that way. This year I looked at it as more thank you for putting a deposit down on them (giving me half the money to help pay the feed bill now).

capracreek likes this.
  5. Riverside Fainters

Riverside Fainters Member

Feb 6, 2013
    I have decided to just register the goats myself and they can transfer the goat. If they don't want the papers, then I will keep them..

capracreek likes this.
  6. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    When I our purchased my goat I sent the name I wanted and breeder sent papers after the fact.

capracreek likes this.
  7. ETgoatygirl

Mar 23, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I may just register all of my doe kids before they leave my farm. I want to try this this year, and see how it goes. I’ll definitely have to keep cost in mind though. I’ve got 7 doelings to register this year! It’s been a girl year around here for sure. Not that I’m complaining about that:)

capracreek and groovyoldlady like this.
  8. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yep you never know till you try! That’s kinda how I looked at it this year too.

capracreek and ETgoatygirl like this.
  9. ETgoatygirl

Mar 23, 2012
    Too true!

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We usually only register the ones my kids keep to show in breeding classes, and sell the rest with application for registration.
    People always seem to want papers for Doe kids so I don't feel I'd be losing $$ by registering them. However with Bucks, not a lot of people care about papers, so I'd definitely rather sell with application for registration. Just makes it a little easier. Although I'm not opposed to registering for buyer at cost of registration and postage, but they'd still have to transfer the goat into their name, so... in the long run it's just easier if they do it all in one transaction (ABGA requires the goat to first be registered to the breeder, then transferred to new owner - unless that has changed).

capracreek and toth boer goats like this.
  11. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    I register all the does. I whether most of the bucks, only register them when the buyer has placed a deposit.

12. Calistar

Calistar New Member

I register my doe kids before they leave. One time I sold a bred doe, and sent the buyer with a breeding memo so she could register the kids herself once they were born. I ended up with some REALLY dumb names registered under my herd name. Never again :p

13. ETgoatygirl

Mar 23, 2012
    This is what I plan to do! Granted, I only have two male kids this year. One will definitely be neutered, but I’m waiting on the other, as I’ve had some mild interest in him.

capracreek likes this.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do the same, the extra cost up front is too costly. So I just send the kid off with application for registration. Buyer if they want to register that goat can.
    If they do not, that is up to them.

I have also bought some bucks who were already named which, some names I did not like and wanted it changed.
    So you have to go through the hassle to get a hold of the breeder for them to approved a new name, which is a pain.

capracreek likes this.
  15. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I used to leave the name option open when handing a application to new buyers and then I tried to register a doe as the name Ginger and it said I already had a doe with that name. I was probably way more annoyed then I should have been but still

toth boer goats and capracreek like this.
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California