The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
goat Mamma
280 Posts
I have a day job that starts at 530 in the morning every other day.I really love sleep, particularly on the days that I don't have to work.I don't have my coat on my property but they live less than a mile down the road so I stop on my way home from work at about 5 in the evening to milk two does currently.they have a kid on them full time too. so I am able to leave for weekend trips if I want, but I get less milk this way. I used to separate that kid at night and milk first thing in the morning but like I said I like to sleep in and hate schedules... ;) the amount of milk I get now is about a quarter less total than morning milking only.

·
Registered
771 Posts
It's funny, I get people that get mad at me when I tell them my feed schedule. Who cares as long as its at 12 hour intervals? My horses aren't going to get sick as long as its a routine. It's not like I feed at 7 and 7 one day then 11 and 11 the next...

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'm a morning person, and I have to get to work by 8, so I milk anywhere between 6-7am.... weekends maybe a little later. they get mad at me, but mommy needs her sleepy time!

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
I'm an 8 and 8 milker too. Though I am out there doing chores earlier, I just do the milking last so I can relax and take my time.

Whatever works for your schedule is great! Don't listen to the people who balk at your for your night owl schedule! I was a huge night owl...until my job forced me to a more normal sleep pattern. I still miss my nightly quiet time, where it was just me and a good book...or some gaming on my gaming computer!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
We usually milk 7 to 7, or 8 to 7:30. Night time is usually our family time, so we finish dinner, milk, and watch a movie. Usually my mom and I (the goat caretakers) also stay up late; her finishing house work, me trying to fit in some writing and drawing. I do my best creative work in the peace of the night, so waking up earlier than 7 is sometimes painful. :laugh:

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
we homeschool, and have tons of animals to feed and check on my girls now do the milking...( oh but how I miss it!)
during hot weather we like to milk 7/7 cold months 8/8 ...then its breakfast, house chores, school (goat spot for me lol)..then lunch, back out to do water checks, I feed alfalfa mid day...then we are good until early evening when we do it all again..unless its hooves and check up day...or water/feeder scrubbing day...oh and after a storm we spend a few days cleaning up after that lol...I like it busy :D

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I managed to get to bed at 2am, I wake up at 7-8. Then top off everyone's feeder, flush the water. Go back inside, dink around on the internet for a few, then go out and milk, billion things in between, make dinner, clean up, watch tv, get back on the internet, then go out and milk, come back in and a little while later I get tired enough to go to bed.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Lacie, this is off the topic, but I had been WAITING for you to get a website so I can drool over your animals~ :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
5 to 6 and 5:45 to 6:30...... My milk room is right in the sun! Its like 105 in the afternoons when I milk. I am getting pretty good milking one handed and swatting flies with the other!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
We used to milk twice a day, 7:00 and 7:00 for a while, sometimes 8 and 8; it's varied a lot over the years.

Since we've been milking once a day(sort of, we still milk one of them twice a day since she doesn't have much. It just helps us to have that little bit of extra milk that gives us.) we usually go out around 8, (none of us are morning people except my mom - she's always up by like 6:30 :eek:) feed all the goats their morning ration and milk Suzi (takes less than 2 min. usually; she give about half a gallon per milking).
We all take turns checking on them mid day. In the evening we go out around 6:30, milk, feed the rest again, check water again, and that's about it!

Our evenings are a lot like 3Havens described theirs, that's why we milk so early in the evening. :) We often have family time at night; watch a movie, or visit in the living room, etc.
Lol, and us older kids are always trying to draw or read at night too! ;p There's not enough time during the day!

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
I milk, feed ect at 9-10am-9-10pm. That will change soon though once I move. I'll miss being a night owl.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts