The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter, we had a really rough birthing season. All seven does gave birth during the same 48 hour period, when it was bitterly cold outside and not warm enough for newborns inside the stone barn - unless they were in the heated baby barrels. Two of the mothers required internal realignment of babies that were badly positioned (one with tangled triplets and one with a tail-first oversized single) - very stressful for everyone concerned. Of the 14 kids that were born, 7 had to be brought up to the wood stove to be revived (2 of the tangled triplets, 3 that went into cold-shock before we discovered their births, and 2 others for reasons I forget). When the 5 who survived were reunited with their mothers (most within 12 hours), 3 of them were promptly rejected. It was sweet to bottle-raise them, but I always prefer that they have their mothers’ affections...

It was too chaotic at the time to analyze what had happened, but now I wonder if the separation during the critical bonding time was an obvious reason for the rejections? All three rejecting mamas were experienced. True - one was shocked to have traumatic triplets instead of her usual twins, and a second-year mama was put off at having 2 instead of 1 - but the 3rd mama had no such excuse. Having just witnessed each of those mothers happily welcome all their babies this year (no-stress births, no bitter cold weather, and no need to separate and revive babies by the wood stove), it just made me wonder...

If any of you can confirm my suspicions, I think I’ll prepare an oversized baby-warming pen that’s big enough for mama goat, too! Though - I’d much rather they wait to birth in decent temperatures! Thanks!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Absolutely you are correct! They don’t really think about the fact they laid down and pushed so many kids out, they are more ok i cleaned this 1 baby off, and I have spent the last X minutes or hours just having this one kid (or whatever number) so that’s what I have. The longer the other baby is gone the more they are forgotten about. Now some are a little smarter then others and their brain is still scrambled with hormones lol and will take a kid back when another won’t but it really just depends on the doe and how firm she has it in her head that she has so many kids. Rejecting kids is a HUGE cull factor for me but if I have to take one away for whatever reason and mom rejects it I don’t blame that doe one bit.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just culled a 5 yr.old doe for this. In three years (why I keep written records) :1)twinned but abandoned the 2nd born (girl) child, then a 2) miscarriage of trips at 3 months, and this year 3) had to be forced to feed 2nd born girl child which she finally hooked and tossed over the fence then ran off with male child. Yeah, she got sold. She either is fixating on first kid born or hates little girls....
I have never tried to put a baby back with mom after a rejection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts