When goats get out?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by DLJ Goats, Feb 25, 2011.

1. DLJ Goats

DLJ Goats New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Conyers, Ga
    So tonight is the first time my goats have gotten out. So I'm two or three hours behind starting to look for them since they were last seen, what is there normal habit, come back to where they eat and sleep or keep pushing on? Two younger nannies one with her kid she had on valentines day. I don't wanna keep pushing them farther so I quit looking for them tonight, any ideas?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Goats usually don't go to far from home. I've never had my goats wander far if they get out. I'd be out all night looking for them if I had to, but I don't know what your area looks like...like where they might have gone...etc.

Will they come to the sound of grain in a bucket? Do you have a dog you could take out and see if it could find them? Crossing my fingers you get them back home soon and safely.

3. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    *knock on wood* all mine just stay in the yard, if they get bored and want to go back in the pen they ring the bell at the door. But if they are stuck in grazing world i rattle a bucket of grain and they come running. Hope they come home soon :pray:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how long have you owned them? if long enough then they should know where home is and stay close. If you cant see them then you might be looking at days finding them

5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    when we had the dairy herd they always went straight to the neighbors pines. killed them, thats how bad it was. i hope they come home soon for you. depending on how your goats usually act depends on if you want to follow. our dairy does then were bad behaved and would run like a deer if they were out of the pasture and saw someone going toward them. if your goats are like that then you dont wanna chase them because they are faster. i suggest circling around slowly in a big loop with lots of people (like a deer push almost). or if they follow one leader goat then you want to get that one and the rest will follow hopefully. my one doe now will squeeze out if i'm late feeding. i havent been able to find her escape spot yet. but when she gets out she comes straight to the door hollering "HELLO YOU ARE LATE!!!" and she follows me back into the pasture to get fed without a problem.
    hoping your goats come back soon.

6. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Post to CL and any local classifieds.
    Shake the grain bin, leave their gate open, and leave out a lot of hay and fresh water.
    Are any of them friendly? Or are they on the wilder side?

7. DLJ Goats

DLJ Goats New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Conyers, Ga
    Well I've had them for a few months and they friendly as can be. I have 40 acres with 5 fenced for them but there are neighbors all around. I'm just worried about the new born she's only a week old and there are coyotes round here.

8. mabeane

mabeane New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Talmadge, Maine
    Have you asked the neighbors?
    Mine have a small paddock and sometimes get out. We have 13 acres on this side of the road. They don't even leave the dooryard.

9. DLJ Goats

DLJ Goats New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Conyers, Ga
    What a good deal it turned out to be! I did find them, at a neighbors. One that I never knew had goats! Turns out he started raising because of a girl scout training his daughter was in. Turns out he got addicted. Started with 3 and now hes up to around 14 and a couple mini cows. And lives through the woods and is so wanting to teach me all sorts of new things. Even has a billy Ive been looking to buy. Keep a look out for his web site thats about to go online, cherryblossomfarms.com and this guy is gonna have a liitle bit of everything on his site. Thanks for your ideas and help through it all it was a rough couple days

10. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I am glad you found your girls and a great goat neighbor! Goat people are the best aren't they? When my goats get out, my first act is to tie up my dogs. Then I let my Great Pyr out with them and she rounds them up for me and herds them back into their pen. She knows where they should be. I've been told we have coyotes here but I haven't seen or heard from them at all. I give credit for that to my dogs who bark at EVERYTHING.