When is a good age to breed nigerians?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Sep 12, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I usually wait until they are over a year old but everywhere I look I see girls being bred at around 7 months. Is this normally a good age?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Size is more important than age.....and I would not breed a doe that is under 50lbs.

3. TinyHoovesRanch

So any weight over 50 is best?

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Everyone seems to breed at a different age/weight. So I say do what your comfortable with.

I've heard breed you can breed anywhere from 6months to one year. Or anywhere from 35-50 lbs. I take both weight, age and size of the pelvis into account and breed when I feel comfortable with it.

5. TinyHoovesRanch

Hmmmm ok. The reason I ask is because the goats that I bought from a friend were planned to be bred this november and I didnt really want to breed that early but if she thought they were ready then I was going to.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you are the owner -- you can decide what you feel comfortable. with.

Last year I kept Ziva my June 209 doeling dry and showed her as a junior this year because she was so tiny. Now this year I may breed my Spirit who was born in June. She is growing like a weed! and Her body type is already showing me that she is wide and if I dont breed her she will get chunky. Im already calling her tubby :p But once her 7th month rolls around I will determine if I feel she is of a good size, weight and condition to be bred. I have never considered breeding one so young before but each goat is so different.

7. TinyHoovesRanch

Thats true. I guess I will be like you and decide when I am ready to breed and then if they are good weight and size I will breed them

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I usually wait until mine are over a year...if they are good sized. Under a year I just don't feel comfortable...unless they are the same size as their dam. I do believe if you give them some time to grow before breeding then it's easier on their body and (from what i've noticed)...their maternal instincts seem better.

It's really up to you to do what you're comfortable with and what you think is best for your goats. ;) Everyone raises their goats a little differently than the other.

9. TinyHoovesRanch

Thanks Kylee. Totally true! Its really interesting to see how different breeders are with there goats! I will probaby wait until they are almost a year old and then decide if I want to breed or just wait. Besides I like it when they are young and cute! Wish they could stay that way longer

10. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I think that seven months old is the minimum age. Like others say closer to a year may be best. We have 4 spring doelings and only 1 of them will be bred in November which at that point she will be eight months old.

The other 3 will not be big enough in November so I will not breed them until April. At that point they will be between 12 - 14 months old.

11. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I talked to Sarah from Castle Rock about this, and she said she's done a bunch of comparisons with her does... and really didn't notice any benefits to waiting to breed (i.e., freshening as a 2 year old, instead of a 1 year old). And, you do have to be more careful to not end up with really fat does, if you wait to breed them.

Also, does do undergo a growth spurt when pregnant (somehow caused by the hormones), and as long as you're feeding them enough, they'll keep growing anyway throughout the pregnancy.

Funnily enough, the ones that I didn't breed last year (because they were too small) really haven't grown much in the year since! So I think that this year I will breed everyone (at a minimum of 7 or 8 months old, depending on size). All the doelings I retained this year have great wide hips, which I think is more important than size anyway... and they're still drinking mama's milk (were born in April) so they're growing like weeds.

But, it's a personal decision, and every goat is different. I think that the goat owner who's in tune with her goats ALWAYS knows more than any "rules" that people create :)

12. TinyHoovesRanch

My doe that was born in march still gets some milk from her momma haha no matter what I do, she finds a way into the pen to see her mom!

All of my juniors are getting chubby, they have a belly on them! So does that mean they would beready to breed? All of them have really nice hips and are just now starting to come into heat.

I know its a personal decision, I feel that they may be ready, but I have always waited really long to breed because my first few goats were pretty small but these ones are growing like weeds!

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree...there are no "set rules" as to when you should decide your doe will become a mom, it's all part of being a conscientous owner. If you would feel ok with breeding a doeling and you won't be any more concerned with the pregnancy/delivery than you would with an adult seasoned doe go for it.
    I personally know my girls and go by size and attitude....if their bone structure and build is what I like to see then I breed the fall they turned a year old, if they need more growth for me to be comfortable with pregnancy/delivery, I wait longer.

14. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I know you are talking about ND's but I have been going threw the same thing with my boers. I have 2 febuary does that I just cant decide if i should breed. I have talked with the breeder and she says just wait till october or november and breed them but I worry about everything. I have heard they grow alot more in the winter as opposed to the summer so I am thinking they will be fine. Plus its 5 months and if they dont grow in 5 months I would be worried. They eat everything in site and have bellies on them so I think I will really look them over next month but probably breed them so we have march babies that will put them at 13 months old when they kid. Does anyone think i should do anything differently?

15. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I don't think the bellies matter as much as the hips and bone structure... you want a nice long goat with wide hips, who has the type of body to carry the kids and deliver them easily. There's something too that I can't really describe very well in words, but can recognize in a goat. Certain goats look more mature than others... 2 goats can be the same size and age, and one will look like a gawky kid, and the other one will look somehow more mature. And those mature ones are the ones I'll breed earlier. It's super hard to put into words, but does anyone else know what I mean?

As for the older ones making better mothers... my (very limited) experience has been the opposite! Funny huh? My 2 goats who freshened at 1 year old this past Spring were perfect mamas and had picture-perfect deliveries. Bonded instantly with their kids and seriously were only in labor for like 10 minutes. Kids born healthy and good sized. Couldn't ask for better! Meanwhile, the one who was a few years old before freshening wouldn't acknowledge her kids for the first 24 hours. (Tough delivery tho.)

Just my 2 cents! Again, to each his/her own, I trust us all to know our own goats :)

16. TinyHoovesRanch

the goats im asking about, I just got so I dont really know much. I have seen them grow from when they were babies though so they have bonded well with me since they are used to seeing me. Amanda used to own these goats, she would know best when they are able to be bred.

In all Honestly I got these goats like 2 weeks ago and I havent seen them since I dropped them off with my other goats and I barely had time to even see them as we were in a big hurry. Im going home though this coming weekend and plan to look at them and see whats going on.

My one doe kid I kept that was born in march is growing like a weed! I posted some pics of her on here, her name is Callie. Im trying to decide if shes big enough. Her mom is a very small nigi and because of that I waited until she was 1 1/2 years old and then bred her, she kidded when she was 2 with a boy and a girl. Callie is already almost the size of her mom who is over 2 now so she seems to not have her moms small size

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    farmergal I totally know what you are saying thats what I go by now too. (unless I really want to keep the kid a junior for showing the following year)

Laura - take your time, dont feel like you have to rush to a conclusion right now. There are still months left in the year to breed for spring kids and then you have winter to breed for summer and spring to breed for fall. I know you are excited and want to make plans and have it all set as to what you will do....but goats love to change that anyway. So take it a day and a month at a time with them and then decide.

18. TinyHoovesRanch

Ya thats what im doing, I want to actually go see them first haha and then see how everyone looks. They all look preggo cause they all have fat bellies lol but theres no way they got bred yet!

Ive seen these goats when they were first born and loved them so much, im just glad I had the opurtunity to get them! I wanna make sure they are all ready to breed and plus I plan to show at a fair next summer and I need some dry junior does so im for sure gonna save a couple until then

19. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I have kinda struggled with this to. Last year I bred a 9 month old doe. She was as big as her momma. But once I bred her I thought she looked so tiny. lol But she did excellant had twins and a very fast delivery with no complications. I bred a cousin to this doe at one year old and she had triplets and didnt have such a easy labor. So you never know how its going to turn out. This year I have two does one will be a year old in Nov. and the other one is a FEb kid of the this year. Im not sure if Im going to breed them are not, the Feb kid is bigger the the almost one year old kid, so Im might hold off till Jan and then see if I think they look like they are growed out enough are not.