when is it best to transport bred does? 3 months along?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ds622311, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ds622311

ds622311 New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I am getting some goats and they are being bred. The seller is fine with them leaving whenever between now and January. He is starting to breed them Nov 15.
    I am concerned that the stress etc of travelling will cause abortions. At what stages of pregnancy are the kids most secure? 1 month? 3 months?
    How many hours of transport would be OK? Like a 3 hour trip is OK but an 18 hour trip is not?
    Thanks for your input!

2. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    Stress of traveling usually only affects heavy bred does. I would try to time it for between 1 and 2 months bred. If possible, make sure they have enough room to lay down in the trailer, and bedding to absorb urine. If it is going to be a long trip (more than 8 hours) plan your route so it is as short as possible and plan on carrying empty water tubs that you can stop periodically, fill and give them a drink. Be sure to empty them when done to keep them from slopping over and making the trailer floor slick, though. I would also have at least some hay in feeders when they arrive to help them settle in a little easier. I would not give grain for a few days as their systems will already be in turmoil and the grain could cause diarrhea and further upset their systems. I hope this helps, and enjoy your new goats! :)

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would also give them Probios daily and a B Complex shot.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree with b complex and probios, would also worm them...either before moving them or right after...worms love a stressful moment to invade..or have a fecal done to see if wormingis needed include cocci..If doing a fecal I owuld two 2-3 of them a week apart...eggs are shed in cycles so you want to be sure you check often enough to catch that cycle.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California