The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some goats and they are being bred. The seller is fine with them leaving whenever between now and January. He is starting to breed them Nov 15.
I am concerned that the stress etc of travelling will cause abortions. At what stages of pregnancy are the kids most secure? 1 month? 3 months?
How many hours of transport would be OK? Like a 3 hour trip is OK but an 18 hour trip is not?
Thanks for your input!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Stress of traveling usually only affects heavy bred does. I would try to time it for between 1 and 2 months bred. If possible, make sure they have enough room to lay down in the trailer, and bedding to absorb urine. If it is going to be a long trip (more than 8 hours) plan your route so it is as short as possible and plan on carrying empty water tubs that you can stop periodically, fill and give them a drink. Be sure to empty them when done to keep them from slopping over and making the trailer floor slick, though. I would also have at least some hay in feeders when they arrive to help them settle in a little easier. I would not give grain for a few days as their systems will already be in turmoil and the grain could cause diarrhea and further upset their systems. I hope this helps, and enjoy your new goats! :)

·
Registered
30,639 Posts
I agree with b complex and probios, would also worm them...either before moving them or right after...worms love a stressful moment to invade..or have a fecal done to see if wormingis needed include cocci..If doing a fecal I owuld two 2-3 of them a week apart...eggs are shed in cycles so you want to be sure you check often enough to catch that cycle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts