When is it safe to disbud a Nigerian Dwarf?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by CaramelKittey, Mar 3, 2020.

1. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Hi all!
    My doe Squeaks had two boys about a week ago. One is polled however the other isn’t. I’ve never had purebreds Nigerian kids that weren’t polled, (I’ve only ever had 3 kids and one we bought. :)) so I’m definitely not an expert on it!
    You can feel the kid’s horn buds coming in, but I’m afraid they may be to close to his eyes.
    Thanks in advance!
    @OldTurtleMom

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

As soon as you can feel horn buds coming through, you need to disbud. Especially males. I'm not understanding the close to the eyes part. You may want someone experienced to look at him and explain the horns better. But get him disbudded now.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree with Karen...Also do choose someone who has done disbudding many times, a person with experience. Get references or see their work. Not everyone is good at the job, that includes most vets.

4. CaramelKittey

Thanks all!
    We have an incredibly experienced breeder who disbuds our goats. She has never failed us, and only charges $10 a goat! We took our kid to her place yesterday and he was perfectly fine.
    Thank you!

5. Chris Black

Chris Black New Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Georgia
    Just did mine at 3 weeks! Was on the fence, but it went fine. Local Critter Fixers Vet did it.

CaramelKittey likes this.
  6. CaramelKittey

Very nice! All of my babies have recovered very well from the disbudding experience.
    I'm glad everything went well for your goats!:) It is always scary to see them next to that hot iron! :hide:
    And that horrible screaming makes me sad. I'm very thankful the lady who we pay to do our disbudding does it quick and easily.:D I feel so bad to see them cry. :imsorry:

They always recover fine in the end. ;)

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I know you already had him done, but for future reference we disbud most of the bucklings at 2-3 days old. Many of ours are born with horn buds. Ours are all ND.

CaramelKittey likes this.
  8. CaramelKittey

Thank you!
    We usually have to do our Nubian/Pygmy/Nigerian Dwarf cross kid(s) at about 2-3 days old as well.