The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is my first lamancha goat I've ever owned. I only have bred Nigerian dwarfs before. I usually put my ND buck in with my does October 1st and leave him in there until mid-November. My lamancha doeling will be 9 months old October 6th. As of right now she's approximately 45lbs at 14 weeks. Should I hold her back until October 2020 or should she be okay to breed this October? She will be bred to a ND buck. Also at 10 months old would my ND be able to breed her?
92A762A1-592D-4E5F-AB0A-75B8CAE6F711.jpeg

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
Personally I don't breed my goats until they are 18-24 months. Im not in a hurry for kids and I like the doelings to put everything into their growth. However some do breed for year old kidding. Rule of thumb is 80% of adult weight and no sooner than 10 months I believe. Average LaMancha is 130# pounds according to the Breed Standards. A Nigerian can indeed breed her. He may need a platform for you to hold her next to. We bred our full grown Lamancha to our ND as well as a few Saanen with success

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
It's a sticky point. LaMancha does are the slowest maturing of all the breeds. Tempo, Barn Owl, Lone Thistle, and Sun*Sational on particular say not that breed their bloodlines before age 2.
I had one oops of a yearling and she was never able to maintain her weight and immune system as well as her twin sister.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts