The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am wondering when does the rut for bucks start? I noticed that my boy Cullen has started to act a bit more buckish lately and last night he and Phantom had a wonderful showdown.

·
14,760 Posts
Sounds like it may have started. I know July usually starts it here. We have one buck who started rutting in June - hauled him to a show and he was in the trailer next to the does and that's all it took. It's to the point we had to fence off a section in their pen to keep them off the doe fence so he isn't stressing (he's lost condition/has another show before he gets a girlfriend!). His twin brother wants girls, but isn't rutting as bad.
Our almost 5 month old buck kid is in rut and it can be funny to watch, but have to really keep an eye on him, he wants to blubber at us, and tried to paw at me one day. He's super sweet though, so hopefully we can keep him in good rut behavior. They'll all get girl friends in a couple of weeks, then I'm sure life will really be chaotic lol. Seems once the weather turns cooler, late fall they tend to start calming down and usually by January their musky scent isn't so bad or the leg staining. But... that's just been what I notice with our Boer bucks.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
So I am wondering when does the rut for bucks start? I noticed that my boy Cullen has started to act a bit more buckish lately and last night he and Phantom had a wonderful showdown.
Yup... now. Lol! We have stinky and skanky down in the woods. The other day they decided to act the fools for a loooong time... next mornin feeds.... tris has a dried bloody nub on one side where they broke one scur off and d has dried blood mask from both of his goin. They been peein themselves for weeks now here. Boys are dumb.

Then up the hill slick is a stinky skanky mess! Lol. Tonight when we were doin bedtime he decided the cow needed serviced.... boys are dumb..... hope let him know that was very not acceptable and that he would not be sharin bed space with her this night did he keep it up. Lol. He got his very own stall.....

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I thought that rut started in the fall. Well, from the sound of it mine aren't being to bad yet. I haven't even noticed their stink in a while.
Seems once the weather turns cooler, late fall they tend to start calming down and usually by January their musky scent isn't so bad or the leg staining. But... that's just been what I notice with our Boer bucks.
I didn't know it lasted that long.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ours were starting to rut 6-8 weeks ago. I included them in our appraisal but they did have the "rut" look. I've started some on the Sunshine Plus supplement.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
This is about right. Mine started in May though :shrug: Been a long time of stinkiness...

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Okay, I thought that rut started in the fall. Well, from the sound of it mine aren't being to bad yet. I haven't even noticed their stink in a while.
Maybe you have gotten used to it? Do people walk away from you when you approach?:)

Reactions: MellonFriend

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I was about to say that it is a real breed/type difference.

My buck just got locked up as my half Boer Daisy is going into heat and he suddenly went crazy. Zebulon is a mixture of types and is now a fully mature buck, so his hormones switched on pretty easily...

My mostly Saanen doe is staring at the brouhaha as if she'd never heard of this mating stuff (she has)

Poor Zebulon. Crying his heart out because all the girls left to go forage and he is stuck in a pen...

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe you have gotten used to it? Do people walk away from you when you approach?:)
(rofl)
African goats may be in rut, Swiss goats still have a few weeks to go.
Interesting. I wonder what happens with crosses. Kinders being a cross between Pygmy and Nubian means I've got both African genes.

Also, I wonder if the fact that they have never been with ladies means that it isn't going to get that bad for them this year.

Another question: Can they pee on the front of their faces? Last night the front of Cullen's face was suspiciously wet...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts