The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe and I'm not sure how old she is, but I'd guess around eight or nine. Her last kidding she had a single doeling, and she carried her very well, no problems or anything. The year before that, she had twin doelings, and she kept prolapsing. Not a HUGE prolapse, but enough to make me wonder if everything was OK. It turned out fine, but the pregnancies before that (she's always had multiples except for this year) I remember her prolapsing at least once. She's getting older and she had issues with her eyes this summer, but it got better. I've noticed her walking different then she used to and I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on when to stop breeding is.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I stop breeding when there are issues or they just aren't healthy enough anymore. Just bred my 9 year old but she is in fantastic condition and no problems with kidding.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
generally if you the books and informational stuff they say to stop between 9-11 but I think it depends on the health and ability of the doe. If the doe is having issues and I feel she is at a greater risk to possibly die in birthing or shortly thereafter, I wouldn't breed. It's a doe by doe thing. Sounds like you are worried about this doe

·
2,203 Posts
Go with your gut. They'd be happy to get bred every heat if they had a choice. Lol... If you're questioning about her health and you've had her a while, I'd say she's done. Retire her and give her a well deserved break.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts