When it Rains, it Poors

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lexibot, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Okay, I haven't been able to match anything up with the problem. Hopefully you guys can figure it out.

Today I noticed something weird on Goat Goat near his rear end. I took a closer look to see this fleshy ball under his bum. If I didn't see his testicles shrivel up and fall off, I would think that's what it is. But it wasn't there a couple days ago, and it's as big as a ping pong ball. He's 10 months old, and has been a full blown wether for at since June if I remember right. (we banded him at 2 months old).

It smells like fecie though, and it's very damp. I am extremely worried. Dad suggested it could be a cyst. But I seriously don't know. This hasn't happened before. I sprayed it with Antibiotic for now as that's all I think I can do until I get more info.

He doesn't seem bothered by it though, but who knows, tomorrow is a different day.

Goat Goat is my pet he was recently attacked by a dog (about 3 weeks ago), thought we lost him then... now I am afraid this could hurt him!!

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Is it possible that it is an infected dog bite?

3. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Well we looked him throughly over, for any wounds, but it could be possible, as a couple days after the attack I seen a bite on his neck that I failed to see that day. He's pretty dark in that area cause of his fur.

It's just really weird that it shows up all of a sudden... already having an issue with a goat, and feeding 10 babies 4 times a day, don't need my baby to be nursed again, I barely have time to breath, LOL!

4. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Now that I think about it, he did have a wound near his bum. A jaw of the dog(s) could possibly reach this area.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like... it may of festered ..... you may have to take him to the vet....and have them test it for staph and cut it open to drain...flush it ... cleaned it out....it is in a sensitive area..... he should be started on antibiotics as well... but if he got staff infection ....then it has to be treated a little differently.... so that is why..... getting a vet to look at him..... would be wise.... :hug:

6. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    OKay, I found out that it is from the bite, it pussed out into a testicle looking blob, then as he "emptied" himself the fecie stuck to it causing the horrid smell.

I cut the fecie off his fur and been spraying him with Antiseptic, the wound seems fine now.

Thanks for giving me the idea that it could be a bite wound, I would have never thought of that... dummy me..

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your very welcome.... :wink: yep ...with dog bites they have alot of germs....and that is what happens... if they aren't cleaned out and flushed ...when it 1st happens they fester up....sometimes though we miss them....and only find them when they swell or stink.......glad he is doing better....great job.... :thumb: :wink: :greengrin:

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    make sure you keep an eye on it so it doesn't get anymore irritated :)

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Keep it clean and please be sure he is up to date with his CD/T...I've seen injuries from dog bites that festered and caused Tetanus.