When Should I be able to feel babies? How?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by jay13, Feb 2, 2010.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I have seen a lot of you all talking about being able to feel the kids. First off, when/ by what time should I be able to do this and how do I go about it?

My one doe that is supposed to be bred is due sometime between 14 march and 01 april (joke's on me I guess). So she is right around day 108-123? God how am I going to deal with such a big window of time? When should I be able to feel for kids? and How? So far, all that happens when I try pressing on her belly is her tummy makes grumbling sounds.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    in that hollow spot (on boers you'll have to feel for it) after their ribs, is where the kids are, just feel around with flat hand until you feel a large mass or small bumps. I start feeling the last month, and its so cool to watch them move around and kick!

3. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    my girls are alpines, is it different with them? I think I must have been feeling too far rear ward. What a dork she must think I am! Ok, so its still too soon? Maybe end of this month beginning of next?

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, try it every week or so, until you feel a kid...or two. ;)

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I've felt kids at the 4 month mark. It's even cooler to see them moving from the side view.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    around the 4 month mark is the easiest but you can start to feel them around 3 months if you know what to feel for

go to the right side of the doe -- move down around her belly to her udder, press up just in front of her udder and a bit to the right. Press in on the left side and then feel with the palm of your hand on the right side near the udder - should feel like flutterings. As the kids get more active and grow you can feel them on the right and left sides.