When should I breed?

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Goat Crazy, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Hello,
    I am a new member and I need some opinions about one of my Nigerian dwarf does. She is 8 months old stands 16in. at withers and weighs 25lb. Her mom stands 20in.
    I would like to breed her if I can, but I don't think she weighs enough. So would you agree that I should wait until she is a year old?

2. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    How come I can't post any pictures?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    because they are probably to big ;)

try resizing to 430 pix or less

I would wait to breed her -- she sounds to tiny to me

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree, she sounds tiny....I have a 7 month old that weighs 37lbs and though she's likely big enough to be bred and is 17" at the shoulder, I'm planning a fall breeding for her.

5. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Okay, thanks. I was thinking she was to small, but this is my first year raising them so I wasn't sure if that was normal for her age or not.

6. I agree as well, keep in mind that some breeders have had mini's wait till as late a three years of age before thier body would allow them to breed so even later on you may breed but not get anything from the breeding if that makes since. Just a thought to keep in mind.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I agree that she's too small. I had a doe I thought was big enough, at 10 months, so I bred her. Ended up needing a c-section (those cost around $300. around here btw). She's fine, vet said to go ahead and try again. Why do they always have a single the first time?

8. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Thanks. I think I'll wait till Dec. or Jan.010' If she makes good weight by then.
    The only reason I really wanted to breed her was to see what her udder will look like. I am hoping she'll have a larger one then her mom.