The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Alpaca land
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,so I have a mini-nube doe and I was wondering what time to breed because I've never had goats that I breed, just alpacas and with them you do not want it to be cold when their born and so it doesnt matter as much if it's cold with goats right? So what month would probably be best for someone who lives in Arlington,WA?:shocked:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well. November would put you to April kidding. I dont know what winters are like in Washington, but October or November would get you past the worst of winter anywhere. Goats are going to need some extra care if they kid in cold weather no matter where you live.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
If they birth in the winter and it is cold where you live, then you need to have heat lamps and be there when they kid. I like having January or February kiddings but I'm home and right there when they kid. I also have warming barrels and put up heat lamps. They need to be dried off quickly just like a cria would need. You really need to make sure they are warm enough to nurse.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This guy I bought my goat from suggested no heat lamps as they can set barn on fire if knocked down. Just be careful with them.

·
Alpaca land
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and also do goats usually have a time period in the day for kidding, like alpacas Are usually from 8 to 4 o'clock

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Not at all. I do miss that.

Owned alpacas for 14 years and offered birthing services to other breeders. Birthed a few hundred alpacas during that time.

Warming barrels are the plastic food grade barrels that you can put a light in through the top and an opening at bottom for kids. If you do a search on here, you might find pictures. I don't have any on my phone.

·
4,499 Posts
Hi Plumpers,
I live in Granite Falls and owned goats for years in Everett before..so that's pretty close! I usually cant wait much past September... I just get so antsy to get them bred! BUT that puts me in the barn (shed) in Feb/March for kidding. I've had no problems with cold being a problem (so far..) (at least not with the goats) As long as you dont mind getting bundled up and have a dry place you're good to go. I have used a heat lamp before, but I'm very careful with them! The barrels look pretty cool though! and safer! Good luck breeding!

·
2,203 Posts
I prefer warming barrels or boxes. We've had excellent luck with heat lamps in these. Secure barrel to a wall and hopefully you'll have the same luck as us.

·
Alpaca land
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much and cool duds that milk and honey lives by me:cool: and I think I'm going to breed in late this month or early next

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
No, Mom does not go in the warming barrel. They are just for the babies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts