The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, when out in the ring at a fair, can u use treats to keep your goat focused? Kind of like in the dog shows? My girls walk great on lead in heel position like a dog, but when I try to square them up they get fidgety.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
yes and no

Shows run fairly fast and if you are focusing on giving your goat a treat (or trying to gain her attention that way) you arent watching the judge - which is what you have to do as an exhibitor - he/she could give you direction and you would miss it or mess up the whole rings movement.

Now if you have a stubborn goat who at some point refuses to walk, then break out the treat, encourage her to walk for it. If you are standing for a long period of time as the judge is evaluating other goats, keeping her still with a treat can work, but you have to still keep watching the judge.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I agree. Plus for showman ship, you want a goat who will do ANYTHING without putting up a fight or anything. Judges really like a well behaved and trained goat! :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So when I am working with my does should they be on a prong? And give corrections like I would a dog when they move?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts