The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... as many of you know I have my first kids. They are 8weeks old on July 10th/11th and the new owners are anxious to have them home.

I'm just curious... at 8 weeks... will there be a major issue at first with weaning? I mean, even now at 5 weeks, the dams are refusing them frequently. I'm sure the babies (and probably the moms) will be vocal at first... but I just want to make sure the babies will be ready at that time. The babies are going in pairs, but will be the only goats in their new homes. The babies are already eating hay a lot and try to steal grain from the does, who usually let them have the last little bit.

Each doe will still have one kid on her when the other babies go home. I am keeping one, and have decided not to list the last available doeling again until after I return from vacation - at which time they'll be about 11 weeks old.

Babies have been separated at night since 2 weeks of age, but would it be better to do some additional separation as the time gets closer? I just want to make the transition as easy as possible for all involved.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So long as they are eating good then they will be fine to go at 8 weeks. Plus they are going in pairs so they will have a friend to hang with. They may cry but just because they are in a new place. Momma will cry for a day or two because they know when they have a baby missing. Ours go at 8 weeks and we've mot had a problem. Now if they weren't eating good or not in good body condition then I would hang on to him/her for a while longer.

·
Super Moderator
59,743 Posts
As long as they are eating grain/hay and drinking water, they should be fine. Especially since they will be going with someone they know.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much grain should they be getting. So far, they only get what they steal from moms dinner feeding... but they sure like it. All are growing well, but at just 5 weeks they're still nursing a lot. The boys will likely not get grain in their future home, since they're the only goats she'll have. But all the girls will be milkers. Still, I don't want to give more grain than they need as babies.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Hay alone is not enough for an 8 week old kid.....they need grain, too. You might mention that to the new owners.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Just checked Fiasco's website and planning to follow their guidelines. Will start putting a bucket of grain in with the kiddos at night (starting slowly of course). They're only locked up from about 9:30pm till 6am... but maybe they wont "attack" mom quite as hard if they've had grain to eat overnight. :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
doubt it. my 9 week old buckling gets a couple handfuls of food in the morning when i go to feed and milk his mom. he still flies out of the dog kennel like a bat outta hell and beelines for the milk bar to his mother's disdain. lol

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:rolleyes: Oh well. At least I can tell the moms I tried. :D

Although... you just gave me a great idea. Maybe I'll give 'em that bucket of grain in the morning while I'm milking. Then maybe I wont have to listen to them screaming bloody murder the whole time I'm milking their moms! "Let us OUUUUUUUT!!!!!" "That's OUR MIIIIIIIIIIIILK!!!!!" :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:rolleyes: Somehow that wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup. That kept their attention for all of about fifteen seconds. Lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts